iMac mid 2011 wont switch on after installing owc second drive kit

Discussion in 'iMac' started by buihh, Jan 19, 2014.

1. buihh macrumors newbie

hello,

I have an isssue as my Imac 21.5 does not pass the POST sequence when the new power cable is connected to a ssd? i tried to connect to another disk it is failed too???? when I unplug it the Imac start though? is like the Imac put itself in a safe mode?

any idea what can be the issue? all the leds inside are green so it is not a problem eith power supply?

thanks
    Hai

2. rodrigoluizb macrumors member

Did you read this thread?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1685719

The thread starter said that some this SSD kits from OWC have the power cable with a wiring issue. The iMac logic board understand this issue as a problem and it won't start until the problem is solved.

3. buihh thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks a lot...Ok. I guess I have the same issue.
    I 'll try to switch the both outer cable... then.
    We will see....

Hai

4. buihh thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Lucianrider macrumors member

Hi, I was the thread starter that you looked at. It turns out that all three wires were in the wrong places. In other words the small white plug had been assembled 180 degrees out of phase. In your case you would probably have to switch the two outside wires and move the middle wire over to the next slot.

It was a major pain in the ass having to take the iMac apart many times to figure this out!! Eventually I ended up cutting the wires and reconnecting them in the correct order as I had already swapped the center wire as OWC instructed and I did not want to pull the logic board off again!

By the way, did your kit come with the correct SATA cable with a 90 degree bend?? Mine did not and I had to replace that as well. I asked for a refund for the cost of the kit but all they did was send a new power cable for which I really have no need for now that I got it working...

6. buihh thread starter macrumors newbie

No the sata cable was bended and is straighted. I finally reversed and it does work now. I'm exhausted and was so frustrated !

Thanks a lot !
    Hai

7. Lucianrider macrumors member

Glad you got it working!! When did you purchase the kit from OWC? If after my problems then they should be shot for still selling cables that are incorrectly assembled!!

8. buihh thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly I don't know as I bought it 2 weeks ago from Macupgrade.eu. but I have the part number from OWC so I guess they bought it in Q4/2013.

9. photosmike macrumors member

Does anyone know if the Fixit kit is correct?

10. Lucianrider macrumors member

I've never heard of any problems with the iFix it kit, I would trust one of theirs over the OWC one any day after my experience!!