Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yamyeow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I'm currently using SMC Fan Control, a utility that runs in the menubar. I created a setting that leaves all the fans available running full blast (See Screenshot). I usually leave it on default, but when I'm rendering videos, or doing heavy graphic design work (Photoshop, inDesign, etc…) I set it to FULL BLAST or on very hot days i'll leave it on full blast.

Is this safe to leave these fans running on full blast all the time? Or is there a safer/smarter way to cool your mac using the fans. Maybe there's a better utility out there?

Thanks for any input!

Wizzao!

iMac running 10.7.3, 4GB ram

Attachments

• smcFanControl.png
    smcFanControl.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 471
  • smcFanControl2.png
    smcFanControl2.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is this safe to leave these fans running on full blast all the time? Or is there a safer/smarter way to cool your mac using the fans. Maybe there's a better utility out there?
You don't need any 3rd party app to manage fans. Your Mac will manage temperatures and fans to keep temps within safe operating range, without interference from the user or apps.

yamyeow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
You don't need any 3rd party app to manage fans. Your Mac will manage temperatures and fans to keep temps within safe operating range, without interference from the user or apps.

Hey I appreciate your response, but what about in those cases where your computer is getting really hot and you use your utility to cool it down. These utilities were built for a reason, just for ***** and giggles, proof of concept? If I don't need to use the fan app regulators then why do they exist? lol

Thanks for GG ::D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
These utilities were built for a reason,
Just because an app is developed doesn't mean it has value. There are countless apps available that serve no useful purpose, other than to make money or to build notoriety for the developer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.