iMac mid-tier with 16 GB or iMac 4k (both 21,5)?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by akakicreations, Dec 18, 2015.

1. akakicreations macrumors newbie

akakicreations

Hi,
    I have some doubts about my buying between this two imac. Now i have a Macbook pro 15" mid 2010, intel core i5 2,53ghz, and I upgraded the ram two years ago from 4gb to 8gb. It works well, but in little works with after effects (not profesional) is so slow just now, and other apps open as photoshop, illustrator(professional use) at the same time is not a good idea. I think the processor is the limitation.

So, I have two doubts:
    - I will notice significant difference in performance with a new imac like that?
    - If finally I decide buy one just now, what could be the best decision to have a good computer for another 6 years and for my works: imac mid-tier with 16gb or imac 4k with 8gb (both 21,5 because I prefer)? Higher models are so much money for me.

Thank you guys.

(Sorry about my english, is not my usual language)

2. NewtonPippin macrumors regular

Don't settle - get 16GB and 4k. You will regret it for the rest of the time you own the computer if you dont

3. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

If you have to make a choice between the two, I would go with 4K display :)

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is what I would do.

5. akakicreations thread starter macrumors newbie

akakicreations

Thanks guys

After investigating more about the possibilities and other opinions to have a new computer for a long time, I am considering choose the imac with 16gb ram and a SSD had disk of 256gb instead of the 4k option, what do you think? ****, I would like to have all...

6. lkalliance macrumors member

lol akakicreations...I've been having almost exactly the same conversation here for the last week! I settled on the mid-tier iMac with 16GB and a Fusion drive...but your use case sounds heavier than mine and indeed is at a professional level. So my resolution is probably not perfectly applicable.

7. akakicreations thread starter macrumors newbie

akakicreations

really? lol, why apple make our decisions son difficult?!
    Well, is not for professional use, but I really worry about buy a machine which I can work fast with little projects but in high quality for a long time. I have a gopro (that can record in 4k, but I only use in 1080 because the heavy files...), a SLR camera, etc. and I am tired working for a long time with video elements in video apps and with other apps open like photoshop at the same time.

So, it s not for a professional use, but demanding for determinate works and for at least other 5 years.

Thanks!