iMac mini-DVI to RGB video output

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macstatic, Apr 3, 2009.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to get RGB video out of an iMac which has a mini-DVI connector? I'd like to watch Youtube etc. on my TV.

2. torchwood04 macrumors regular

3. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

That adapter only supplies S-video or composite which has a much lower quality than RGB.

4. torchwood04 macrumors regular

5. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup :)
    One line for each signal gives a much clearer picture than what both composite and S-video can supply.
    According to the Mini-DVI pinout there are all the signals I need (as far as I know, these are the R, G and B lines, H-sync and V-sync), but no web-search has shown me any such adapter which is why I'm not taking it for granted that it'll work. Perhaps the sync rates out from the iMac aren't compatible with a TV?
    (it's a previous generation iMac -the one before the newly introduced ones; they have mini-display ports as far as I know).

By the way: which "flavor" of the Mini-DVI connector does the mentioned iMac have? I've heard there are several kinds (DVI-I, DVI-D etc.).

6. torchwood04 macrumors regular

Then I'd suggest getting a mini DVI to DVI adapter, then a DVI to component video adapter.. I could not find any directly from mini to component...