iMac Misery

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bwiissofly, Oct 22, 2008.

1. bwiissofly macrumors 6502

Hello everyone.

Long time lurker, first time poster in the iMac section.

Anywho, I own a 20" 2.66 GHz CD2 iMac with 4 GB of memory and a 320 GB hard drive. Recently, I have noticed that my iMac is lagging a bit.

When I say lagging, I mean that when I go to shut it down, it stalls and nothing happens (i.e. the dock and icons disappear) but I have to end up doing a hard shut down. Furthermore, I sometimes experience the spinning ball of death.

Quite frankly, I am a bit confused as to why I am experiencing negative actions from my fairly new machine (purchased in the summer of 2008). I am not doing any extensive programming or anything of that nature; only general web browsing, paper writing and music listening :)

I did a bit of research and reset the PRAM and repaired permissions. I think the next step will be to repair the disks but I will have to wait since I am at college and my disks are at home.

Any ideas or same experiences?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I do not think it could be bad RAM since I purchased it from OWC and had good luck with them in my CD 2.0 GHz Macbook with 2GB of memory.

2. johto macrumors 6502

johto

install Onyx and do the normal maintenance and "cleaning" tasks. Also repair disk permissions. Make sure you keep at least some gigs of free space. IF you have 320 gig disk, it would be cool to try keep always 10-30Gig free for smoother operation. I imagine you have installed all the updates too?