imac mobile processor upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by roboko, Jul 15, 2012.

1. roboko macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2007 imac 20" 7,1, and I'm looking to upgrade the cpu to the core 2 Extreme X7900 @ 2.8GHz, but this is a mobile processor, for a desktop? I know it's seemingly compatible, and that there was an issue before with it coming up as core 2 duo for people, but there are core 2 extreme desktop processors, and I'm slightly confused as to what is categorised as what. In other words, I just want to be certain/have confirmation that it's compatible. Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That model iMac had an Intel Core 2 Duo (T7300, T7700) ("Merom") CPU at either 2.0GHz or 2.4GHz and is classified as a mobile CPU. A high-end BTO model was also available, with a 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme processor.

4. roboko thread starter macrumors newbie

5. roboko thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, one more thing, does the stepping/s-spec version of the cpu matter or will both versions be compatible with the imac? Do I have to get the exact version that came with the BTO model? There's SLAQJ and SLAZ3 for the Core 2 duo Extreme processor

6. SandboxGeneral, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That I'm not 100% sure about, so I don't want to recommend anything and steer you wrong. You may have to do some serious Googling to make a properly informed decision.

7. roboko thread starter macrumors newbie

I see, thanks. Done a lot of googling already...I'll go back and try again

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Good luck. Hopefully, another MR member with more experience and knowledge on this topic can chime in and help.