Imac model '13, yosemite 10.10 screenshots

Discussion in 'iMac' started by spincr, Aug 19, 2015.

1. spincr macrumors member

spincr

Hi,

I tried the search engine but came up short. I've been having this problem for quite a while now. I'm at 10.10.4, and for months the normal cmd+shift+3/4+space have not been working..

I found (via google) one other post, but that didn't help me out (it referred to system pref > keyboard > screenshot options, but they were all checked, and even after de-rechecking all the boxes it didn't work.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a known fix?

Thank you in advance,

Axel

2. spincr thread starter macrumors member

spincr

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Just a few thoughts…

Do you hear a beep whenever you try the keyboard shortcuts?
    The beep would be an error beep, and not the normal sound that you should hear when you successfully take a screen shot.
    Is it only the shortcuts that don't work?
    Can you take screen shots using the menus in your Grab app?

Have you tried taking a screenshot when logged in to another user account (make a new user just for this test.)

4. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

I hate to suggest this, but I'm pretty sure the "+space" isn't needed. I've never had any difficulty getting a screenshot using ⌘+⇧+3/4 only. Good luck.

5. spincr thread starter macrumors member

spincr

Do you hear a beep whenever you try the keyboard shortcuts? - no beeb (on my own account).
    Is it only the shortcuts that don't work? - as far as i know these are the only ones not working.
    Can you take screen shots using the menus in your Grab app? - i don't know how.. i was under the impression the only way was the shortkeys.

Have you tried taking a screenshot when logged in to another user account (make a new user just for this test.) - i have now, logged in to a guest account, and tried there. Strangely here i do hear the error beebs. Not the usual shutter sounds.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Do try the Grab app (it's in the Applications/Utilities folder). That app has other methods of taking screen shots - beyond the simple key shortcuts.

And, I suspect that you always have an error indication somewhere when you try the Shift-Command-3, etc.
    I bet that you have some other app or utility that has "hijacked" or re-assigned the keyboard shortcuts for other apps.

You may be able to find out in System Preferences/Keyboard, then the Shortcuts tab. Click on Screen Shots. You will see the various standard shortcuts. Some may show with errors (usually a yellow symbol), telling you that those shortcuts are used by some other app. Find that app, then change the shortcuts in that app. You can also make changes right in that listing of Keyboard Shortcuts. Restart your Mac. Problem solved - hopefully.

7. spincr thread starter macrumors member

spincr

Thank you! Atleast with Grab i can make screenshots.

Under system preferences - keyboard - shortcuts, i saw some yellow notifications behind; input sources and spotlight, for some reason, but not with screenshots. I restored defaults and the yellow blobs are gone.

However now when i try the screenshot shortcuts i do hear the error beebs, before i didn't. Unfortunately the shortkeys are still not working, and i don't really know why the error beebs are there, a point in the right direction would be useful from osx.