iMac model 7.1 memory issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by seniorgeek, Mar 4, 2013.

1. seniorgeek macrumors member

My girlfriend has a 2007 model iMAC, 2 GHZ Core 2 Duo with 1 GB memory installed. I used the memory scanner at crucial.com to scan and then order the memory indicated.The first module sent did not work, returned it and the second module sent did not work either. I installed it in the 2nd bank and it was not recognized, uninstalled the memory in bank 1, tried the new memory in it and the computer would not boot. The memory is a 1GB 200 pin DDR2 Sodimm 128Mx64 PC25300. The tech said this is the correct memory. Does anyone know what memory will work in this iMAC model and where to obtain it. Thank you

2. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

This is what MacTracker (App) says: 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

So, it seems to be the correct memory, FYI, that iMac can go up to 6 GB, 2 GB is still not that much.

You could put it in a slot and run Apple Hardware Test to see if it is OK yes or no.
    More info on AHT here:

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

3. seniorgeek thread starter macrumors member

All she does with her iMAC is email and internet browsing and a few lightweight spreadsheets. I am thinking 2GB would work fine for her, on that thought can I put a 2GB module in bank 2 and leave the 1GB in bank 1 for a total or 3GB or do they have to match. Thanks for your help.