IMac Model Question.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Howiieee, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Howiieee macrumors newbie

Howiieee

Ok i'm thinking of buying my first Mac, having used a couple iMac's and Mac Pro's but i'm struggleing to decide between, the 2 21.5 inche current version apple offer, the difference in HD size isn't really a issue, it more about the graphics cards, is there a noticeable difference between then NVIDIA GeForce 9400M - which is shared? and the ATI Radeon HD 4670 to make it worth paying the difference?

Thanks
    Howard

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It depends on what you're planning to do with it. In gaming and some pro apps, the video card does speed things up but in general use like browsing you won't notice any difference

3. Howiieee thread starter macrumors newbie

Howiieee

I will do some some gaming, photo editing, and coding work on it. No heavy video editing or anything though, would you say it wouldn't be worth the extra money just for that?

4. scotland007 macrumors regular

I just bought my first IMac this week, the 21.5" with the NVidia card and so far i am well impressed. I edited a 250MB video in iMovie yesterday and it was very snappy. Coming from a PC, this is quick enough for me, plus the majority of our use will be internet, some movie making and garageband.

5. Howiieee thread starter macrumors newbie

Howiieee

Thanks for the info, :) i'm not going be doing any heavy video eiditing so i think i'll go witht eh Nvida version

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iMovie isn't for heavy editing and can't take advantage of GPU so it doesn't matter is it 9400M or 4670.

Then the nVidia version will be fine for you

7. Howiieee thread starter macrumors newbie

Howiieee

Ok thanks for the infomation Hellhammer