iMac monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by seafarm, Apr 22, 2014.

1. seafarm macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of buying an extra monitor for my 21" iMac, since I could really use the extra space. Of course a Thunderbolt Cinema display would be ideal, but I sadly can't afford it, so I've looked into some alternatives.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-I2757FM.../ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/275-0512719-4025725

This^ is what I've decided to go with. But how will I connect it? I suppose it uses HDMI, which the iMac doesn't have. I already have en adaptor (thunderbolt to HDMI), will I be able to simply use that to connect them?
    And how will it work in practice? Will it automatically be used as an extra desktop?

2. Emathieu macrumors regular

3. seafarm thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I thought it looked really nice too, and the reviews weren't bad either.

4. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Simply plug the Thunderbolt end into the iMac followed by the HDMI end into the monitor and the adaptor and it should work perfectly.

To configure the display go to: System Preferences/Displays and from there you can select to mirror or extend, choose the location and orientation of the second monitor in relation to the iMac, and drag the menu bar between the displays to select the primary and secondary.

5. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

Just connect it. I don't remember if I had to manually change anything.