Imac Montevina - MBP soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alanlindsay, Apr 28, 2008.

1. alanlindsay macrumors member

Looks like the Imac may have just been updated with the Montevina chipset, 1066MHz FSB, 800MHz DDR2 and CPUs up to 3.06GHz. MBP update can't be too far away.

2. mattingly macrumors newbie

As stated on the front page, Intel has reported that they are still the Santa Rosa chipset. The only difference really is that the SR chipset uses more power.

Funny that you posted this though, because it was the same thing I was thinking. I hope to see a 3ghz MBP this summer! :O

3. llorxela macrumors newbie

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The MacBook Pro will likely be updated soon, but I expect Apple is waiting for the new mobile processors because their TDP and power draws will be lower then the overclocked chips Apple is using at the top-end of the iMac line.

And I would expect Apple to move to Montevina rather then do the "Santa Rosa Special" on the current MBP systemboard since the latter will also increase heat generation and power draw, both of which are undesirable in a mobile platform. Hence no simultaneous MB Pro announcement.

Now watch them announce new MBPs tomorrow with the overclocked parts. :p

5. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

So glad someone else was thinking what I was. It seems really interesting that the imacs are getting "upgraded" SRs even if its not really montevina. Doesn't this mean that Intel is working hand in hand with apple to give them the latest stuff. Hopefully this means apple will want to roll out montevina notebooks as soon as the chipset is out.

Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking:D

6. mattingly macrumors newbie

I'm guessing the speculated redesigned MacBook/Pros will be announced at the WWDC, and start shipping when Montevina is released.

7. akm3 macrumors 68020

Does it actually INCREASE heat generation, or just not reduce it as much as a real montevina would?

8. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Umm, Montevina uses DDR3 and WiMax, neither of which are in the new imac. ;)