{Imac}Moving on up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TyShawn, Aug 21, 2011.

1. TyShawn macrumors 6502

After many years of use with my Mac mini 1.1 Upgraded to T7200 2GB of ram, 320 hard drive and N card upgrade, I believe its time to upgrade and I have come to the point where I found I want to move to an Imac. What I was looking to do is sell my current mini setup and buy a 24 or 27 inch Imac. What I was hoping people could do is point me in the right direction on which Imac will give some boost in encoding movies I am using handbreak and in the fall will start editing some basketball games for the local high school and AAU teams my daughter plays for. I may load a game or two on this but I have a PC and a Xbox 360 for that. I would like to keep my cost under 1k total investment nad I am open to the used market.

2. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi obsidian,

"I would like to keep my cost under 1k total investment and I am open to the used market."
    That's what OP said, your 'advice' isn't too helpful...

3. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

Neither is your attitude ;) DBADA

And to the OP, I apologize, as I obviously made a human error when I gave my advice. With your budget limit, you'll definitely want to look at sites that sell used machines or the apple refurb store, which occasionally stocks older machines that sell for less than $1000. I'm very certain you won't be able to find a i7 iMac for >$1000, but if you shop around, you can probably find a higher end 24" that'll fit in your budget. EBay is always a good place to start, although there's definitely an element of Buyer Beware associated with it.

Also, given your budget, it might not be a bad idea to consider just upgrading your current Mini to a newer one + an external optical drive. You'll get better performance from those processors than the ones in the 24" iMacs, which is what you'll want to get the best experience possible for movie encoding and editing. And yes, I saw that you are wanting to sell the entire set up for your mini, but this is another option for you to consider.

4. TyShawn thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought about that also and may go that route. I would want to move up to a 24-27 inch monitor and as I have a dell now I would go Dell again. But it would be nice to have an all in one uinit. But youre right all good food for thought. I just hate to have to keep adding peices thanks to apple's choice to removed the DVD burner.

Any places other than macmall and the apple store you recommend for buying a used mac?

Thank you all for your posts.

5. TyShawn thread starter macrumors 6502

What about 2009 24 inch Imac that looks to be a step in the right direction.