iMac mysteriously started up?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SteveC, Jan 23, 2009.

1. SteveC macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    Last night my iMac started up at 7:00 PM and I have no idea why it happened (according to my current uptime of 21 hours and 42 minutes). I came home from an out-of-town trip a few minutes ago, and my computer was running.

My computer was set to go to sleep yesterday at 12:15 AM. However, no other options were selected (see attached image).

Why on earth would this happen? Did it just turn on at 7 for no reason...? Is there a way to figure out what happened that told the computer to startup? Is there a log or something that would tell me why it started up?

I'm posting this under Mac OS X because I assume it's the OS telling the hardware to do this.

Attached Files:

2. kunze50 macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    A small power failure may have something to do with it. If your computer is set to restart after a power outage this may be why.?¿.
  3. lostngone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2003
    The newer iMacs are becoming self-aware...

Mine wanted more memory so it went out and ordered some. Then it wouldn't let me surf the web or read e-mail until I installed it!
  4. micsaund macrumors 6502

May 31, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    My MBP will wake-up mysteriously during the night if I have stuff plugged-in like the USB keyboard/mouse. I have very high static electricity in my house during the winter with the heater running and I think it's related to that. I have a plastic table that probably holds a bit of charge that seems to affect the MBP and accessories sitting on it. If I unplug the USB stuff or wait until summer when the static is not a problem, it never happens.

Perhaps this is something for you to consider if you notice the problem happens more often.

5. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    Thanks for the replies. These are definitely a combination of helpful and humorous. :)

The same thing happened at 7 PM tonight, but I have nothing setup in energy saver telling the computer to turn on at 7 PM! This is insane.

What else could be causing this, other than energy saver? Is there a log to tell me why it started up? Something had to tell it to. How do I find out what that something is?

Edit: Found someone with the same problem:

Looks like a bizarre mystery! Very strange. I wish I could just figure out what's causing the startup.
  6. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

Oct 9, 2007
    Medicine Hat
    soon it will be the imacs questioning why we are waking up without them telling us to
  7. macrem macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2008
  8. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles, California