iMac Need Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cyberfossic, Feb 6, 2012.

1. cyberfossic, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

cyberfossic macrumors newbie

Dear All

I have a 2006 24inch iMac which had some overheating problem after updating to 10.7.3
    Hence I decided to downgrade it to 10.6
    I backed up using Carbon Clone, and reinstall the 10.6 though DVD drive.
    The iMac was paired with an latest version wireless keyboard and magic pad, and I was able to use the magic track pad and keyboard without any problem.
    however, when I finally finished the installation , I downloaded Carbon Clone from the web, double clicked it and was ready to install it, My iMac just froze, probably because it was to hot, (its summer here in brisbane)
    I restarted the iMac, and then neither the keyboard or magic pad will work.
    Each time I reboot the iMac, I've notice the green LED light flashes once on both the keyboard and magic pad , however, none of the keys were working.
    I tired the followings with both the "Wired"and "Wireless" keyboard and mouse :

holding "T" to connect it to another Mac, didnt work
    holding "Option"... didnt work

Then I plugged in a WD usb Harddisk , it was spinning and the LED light was on , but the it didnt show up on the desktop

The iMac still can recognise a Lacie Firewire Harddisk , but thats all.

I really dont know what to do now.
    The 2006 iMac is definitely out of warranty , and the nearest Apple store is Hours away from where I live.
    I really need some advice and help
    Thank you all for the help and advise
    Best Regards

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yikes ok.

So I tried to follow what you wrote and jump in if I misunderstood. First, you cannot boot your iMac and hope that pressing "option" on a wireless keyboard will work. You'll need a wired keyboard, at least I do with my MacPro.

So you downgraded from Lion to Snow Leopard and using that clone of your drive, you tried to recover your data? Did you clone your drive while on Lion? There may be some kind of conflict. I think I would have cloned the drive and then migrated the information back to Snow Leopard little by little avoiding any part of the Lion system, if that makes sense.

Can you boot from your iMac's restore discs?

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

^^

Good translation, I couldn't quite get it....Yes as jessica say's OP, you will need a WIRED keyboard. If you have attempted recovery of system files via TM AFTER you downgraded, your OS is going to be in one hell of a mess (unless you recovered only documents)

As posted, your recovery media will be needed to perform a fresh installation.

4. cyberfossic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying:)
    And sorry for the bad english
    I tried both wireless and wired keyboard and mouse
    none of them worked

----------

No, Holding the "C" key didnt work.(I tired both Wireless and WIRED apple keyboard )
    Each time when I try to reboot it , it just goes straight into the Desktop window

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Do you have your installation disc's? It's going to be your only way out I think.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is a problem then. If you cannot put in your restore discs and reboot from that disc I don't know what to do. Frustrating, I'm sorry to say.

7. cyberfossic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying.

Will replacing the HDD with the backed up disk work ?
    Anyone here had experience the same problem ?:(

----------

Thanks Macman45
    I think I might still have them
    you mean the discs that came with the Mac right ?
    However, I cant get the 10.6 disc out of the iMac now:(
    Is there anyway to Eject the Disc now ?