iMac Needed For Logic Pro In Cyprus But....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vengasuk, Feb 5, 2012.

1. vengasuk macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have moved to Cyprus in the past year & even though they do have for sale many Apple products, there is no Official Apple Store which means an i7 3.4 iMac is unavailable here. Importing from a UK or US store that may have that model or even eBay is a solution but what happens when the computer needs repairs as iMacs do have problems. My aging Mac Pro is in need of an upgrade, Logic 9 demands CPU power & i use alot of synths & effects. New Mac Pro is too expensive only to dispose of it in 4 years when i hoped it would last quite a bit longer. The iMacs available here are i5 models which wont handle the sometimes 64 tracks with about 10 plugins on each that i use. Im not expecting much of an increase from Ivy Bridge i5's when theyre available. It seems to get powerful processing, you got to go quad i7. Any ideas are most welcome!

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You are right. i7 will be roughly 2x faster in Logic because of Hyperthreaded cores. Ivy is a die shrink and on board GPU increase. Not expecting anything over 5-10% increase clock for clock. Try to find the i7 iMac or better yet get a used Mac Pro Quad and buy a Xeon W36xx 6-core. Even more tracks than the i7 iMac.

3. vengasuk thread starter macrumors newbie

There might be companies that sell grey imports of the i7 but i dont have a clue as to where you would stand on a warranty, Cyprus is a country where you do not get a refund, you get an exchange & that is only by pressure & not due to the shopkeeper looking after his/her business. The sale of goods act means nothing here. I think i will keep my 2008 Pro & load it up with SSD Raid for the OS & mechanical HDDs for alot of storage i will be needing & when extra CPU power is needed, get a Mini Server & node it up to theoretically get double the software tracks. Thanks for your help though.