iMac needs restarting just to get to desktop.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Points, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Points macrumors newbie

Everytime i turn on my iMac it either freezes and the screen is all white or all blue. I have to try doing safe boot everytime i want to use it. While doing safe boot its not always sucessful, would have to do it 3 to 5 times until i get to the actual desktop. any help is appreciated!!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Start your iMac from the Mac OS X install disk and then open Disk Utility. Run "repair disk" and "repair permissions" and see if either of those help.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

failing that ^ its time for an archive and reinstall :)

4. Points thread starter macrumors newbie

well the thing is i got this iMac from my mom's boss and all i got was the keyboard and mouse. no disc. is there any other way i can do that?

p.s sorry i might add that i dont know nothing about mac

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Do you know if it is an intel Mac? If so, you could go to the Apple Store and buy Snow Leopard for $29. Then you could run Disk Utility off of there. (Hold down the 'c' key after the chime to start from the disk and Disk Utility is in the Utilities menu.)

6. Points thread starter macrumors newbie

i just checked and its a intel dual core made in 2005. ill just go and give snow leopard a try. thanks

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

a reinstall really is recommended if its stuffing up like that. are you certain its an Intel mac? a Snow leopard install DVD is only $30..

8. advres Guest

advres

Dude are you kidding me? If everyone just reinstalled their OS whenever anything weird happened no one would get anything done. It is either his startup/login items or ApplicationEnhancer.bundle.

But I repeat Points, go ahead and listen to this awesome advice by buying a new OS and installing it when everything can be fine in a matter of minutes.

And again, All of this info has been documented many times on many forums with all the solutions if anyone took the time to look.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey - who says you are right?

Archive and Install is THE simplest thing to do. and its going to fix the issue. logic over ego.

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Are you certain about this? Intel Macs did not come out until 2006.

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You should check Console.app to see if there are any messages from the time the freeze happened.

12. advres Guest

advres

Ego has nothing to do with it! He doesn't have a disk and has to buy an OS. You're telling me, searching on Apples discussion board for the correct fix for free isn't the most logical thing to do? Wow, glad you're not MY IT guy.

besides... if the OP is correct about the date it can't be an Intel (as iBookG4user states) and it won't support your "simplest thing to do" ie, installing Snow Leopard.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it was early 2006 wasnt it? i grabbed my 2nd gen MBP core duo in sept 2006.

yeh im sure the OP will listen to you after you called him stupid :rolleyes:

assuming that it IS indeed an Intel machine - find a better and easier solution. go on. i dare you.

14. advres Guest

advres

The backing everything up, driving down to the store, buying software and then installing it is easiest thing to do? You really don't think there is an easier solution? I already told you this issue has been discussed and resolved on numerous forums for his age imac, with the exact same problems and I found them in a minute of searching google. I will not post the link because I don't think anyone needs me to hold their hand while crossing the street... but go ahead, suggest someone buy a piece of software that might not be compatible with his computer. No skin of my back.

This site has some of the worst advice from some of the least knowledgeable people who think they know everything I have ever witnessed.

15. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The first intel iMac came out in January 2006. (However, the second gen MacBook Pro came out in October 2006. I remember because I bought the first gen MacBook Pro two weeks before the second gen came out :p)

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ahh i see. you use the "i know what im talking about but not going to back it up cuz ima bluffin'" method. i think Albert ******** wrote that didnt he? :cool:

besides, i cant think of anyway to fix it without another disc/disk to boot from and repair/fix it.

ok, i was a month off - what are you gonna do about it :rolleyes: i bought the CD MBP 5 days before the C2D MBPs came out :( bugger.

17. advres Guest

advres

Do I really need to type the 5 words out that you need to google to get the answer? (Here's a hint, 3 of the words are in the title of this thread and the other 2 are in the first post). And if you think you need an OS disk to boot from to repair problems with your startup disk than I don't know why I am bothering arguing with you.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

seeing as though i am at work, im not going to bother. some people never learn ;)