iMac needs to be repaired - what would you recommend ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by siam, Mar 7, 2009.

1. siam macrumors regular

Ive need to take my 10 Month old iMac into the Apple shop where I bought it from for a repair , ( screen problem ) Ive never had to take my Mac in for repair before so I really don't know what to do in the way of '' preparing '' it to be looked at by the technicians , I really would not like some one to play around with say my photo collection, Etc ( I have a full system backup on an external HDD ) , what would recommend I do to '' prepare '' the iMac ?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Make a backup and create a new administrator account instead of giving them your password.

Good lord the look the Genius gave me when I made a new account on the spot. Like I was the crazy one. :rolleyes:

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Take Photos of the unit too, so that if it is scratched or something is broken. They can't say it was like that when it came in

Also i don't think there is any point making another account. All they have to do is rip the hard drive out, and put it in another machine and they will have full access to everything! If mine go in for repair i backup and restore.

4. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guy's , As this will be the first time ive ever taken my Mac in for a repair, and as I am in Thailand , just what will be accessed / altered / Etc ??? ,by the '' technicians '' if any thing , makes me a bit concerned :( . May be I am over reacting a bit ,but going on my past experiences here with any type of services / repairs , I feel un easy .

5. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Siam, if you don' have Apple care yet, now would be a good time to get it, before you warranty runs out.

6. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I was thinking of getting that at the sme time the iMac went in for repair :)