iMac Nehalem update with MacBook update?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by runningman1228, Apr 14, 2009.

1. runningman1228 macrumors newbie

The MacBooks are rumored to be switching to Nehalem late this year. Do you think the iMac will be updated with them? I can't really imagine, the Laptops being Nehalem and the iMac not.
    Any thoughts?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm expecting another Core 2 speed bump and then Nehalem in 2010.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't know, is the licensing spat between Nvidia and Intel over for the Nehalem CPUs.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That only applies to anything using QPI. Then again with Intel going on-chip GPU it's going to be hard for some vendors to justify an additional nVidia IGP solution.

5. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

I really hope Apple move a bit faster than this and adopt Nehalem sooner rather than later - I didn't even know that there was any more speed bumps planned / available for the Core 2 Duo chips?

In my ideal World we'd see the Clarksfield chip installed in the iMac by final quarter of 2009 - a good way for Apple to cross promote the advantages of Snow Leopard and multi core processing. Wether this will happen due to perceived heat issues and and wether Apple probably having to take a processor clock speed reduction in adopting the mobile Clarksfield chip, is anyones guess.

6. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I think that the macbook and iMac will change within weeks of each other. I don't know when this is going to happen, but it is highly unlikely that one will change without the other changing soon after.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

We still have mobile Core 2 Quad left for the iMac and the MacBooks can very easily see just a speed bump since they are starting off at a paltry 2.0 GHz.

I can imagine a spring MacBook update for this year and a fall iMac update for Snow Leopard with Core 2 Quad.

8. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

sounds very plausible - quad-core (and/or 3.72 GHz dual core) in the iMac would introduce a more significant power gap to the MBPs - that would make the desktop route more attractive than it currently is

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mobile Nehalems are coming in Q4 (correct if I'm wrong). We don't know what Apple plans but that's sure we can only see 'em in 17" MBP which costs lots of $$$ and MAYBE in 15". Next iMac update won't be before Q4 and christmas sales.