iMac, Netgear Router & Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Homerj2008, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Homerj2008 macrumors newbie

Hi,

First post, so bear with me.

I have recently purchased an iMac and it's connected (hard wired) to my Netgear D834G router (this acts as my wireless router for my windoze laptop).

Now, I have iTunes on my mac with my small but perfectly formed music collection on it and I'd like very much to stream said music to various rooms in the house, whilst also extending the range of my wireless network.

Before investing in the Airport Express I could do with the following information, which I can't seem to locate either on here or via a wider google search.

Firstly, how does the Airport Express work with an iMac (which has already got wireless connectivity and software installed). Also, how does one go about setting it up?

Secondly, would the Express extend the range of the Netgear wireless router? (If not, is there anyway of achieving that with an iMac, Netgear and Express setup).

Thirdly, there seems to be conflicting reports about multiple streams of music (if I purchase two Airport Expresses, one for lounge and one for dining room), can I play different tracks in each room at the same time, and/or have both rooms playing the same tracks at the same time?

Finally, how does one go about setting up the Airport Express if I only have an iMac (are there any step by step guides about for example)?

I look forward to your feedback and offer appreciation in advance.

Homer J.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

Airport setup is done with the airport utility, which should already be on your mac or is available as a download for windows.
    As far as how it works with the mac, once it is setup it works exactly like any other wireless network. airport is just apple's fancy name, it's the same as every other manufacturers 802.11

as far as wirelessly extending range, it can get a little strange using equipment from different manufactures, so for easiness sake, i will say no.

There are 2 options.
    1. you can hardwire the express on the other side of the house. then set the same SSID and security settings, but different channels. You also have to set the airport to bridge mode under "connection sharing" on the internet settings page. your computers will automatically switch to the strongest signal, so as you move your laptop, it should keep a decent signal.

2. You can have the airport join the wireless network that is coming from the Netgear. This will not provide any signal boost.
    -- To set this up you will probably have to hard wire the express to the network, configure everything, and then you can unplug the express from the network and move it to it's final location.

If you get 2 airports, you can even do a #1 and #2 if you want, or do 2 #2's or 2 #1's

The airport express shows up in a list at the bottom of the window in iTunes. Which then allows you to select which speakers your music comes from
    You can only play one song at a time in iTunes, So unless you have 2 copies of iTunes running (on 2 different computers) you can't play 2 songs. But you can play 1 song to multiple expresses and from the computer's speakers simultaneously.
    --If you do have 2 computers each with itunes, you can play 2 songs, one connects to dining room, and one connects to lounge for example.