iMac new and old

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by emdotdee, Jan 20, 2008.

1. emdotdee macrumors regular

emdotdee

Hey everyone,
    hope I'm posting this in the right place....

I'm going to be buying a new 24" iMac within the next week hopefully to replace my old (but still going) iMac g4 800mhz.

Anyways, what's the best way of transferring all my music and important files over from old to new? Can you still do target disk mode using a firewire cable? or is there better ways?

Also, is there anything interesting I can do with the old mac or am I best just getting some money out of it? I'm sure if I blanked the whole machine it would probably run for a couple more years pretty fine. I was kinda hoping I could make something useful out of it but have no ideas. I'd rather not sell it because it's such a cool machine but I don't want the thing gathering dust either.

If anyones got any ideas I would love to hear them.
    bye d byee

(sorry if this post is poorly worded or messy, i'm tired..)

2. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Yes you can still use FW Target Disk Mode. I think it basically is the fastest and best way to transfer stuff.

Now for your old iMac, if your strapped for cash, sell it and buy the new iMac with the money.
    OR
    Buy a VESA mount, and mount the old iMac up in your living room or kitchen, and use it as a T.V.

EDIT : Sorry I didnt see that you had a G4 iMac. I dont believe you can mount it.
    I'd say just leave it in your kitchen, and use it as an TV/Music Player.

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Put it in another room to use when your not in your main room, if they both have Leopard installed then you'll be able to browse the files on either machine and even control the screen when needed.