iMac Newbie

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cnasty, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I made the plunge this weekend and got a 27inch iMac.

I have never owned a mac before so this is a whole new world to me.

Im sure there are a ton of cool things I can do but I get mesmerized by the screen!

So I have a couple newbie questions:

I bought this large screen and mac to be my office desktop but I also want it to double as a TV in my den/office. What do I need to do to hook a cable box or something up to it?

Is there a guide anywhere on this site of must knows,ins and outs for newbies, things like that for a windows to mac convert?

Thanks for any help and really looking forward to exploring the site more and learning about my new "baby" :D

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

To be honest if you want assistance on using your new Mac there are tons of sites, I would starting out with Apple's! Try these sites first:

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

As for your TV needs I'd recommend visiting www.elgato.com, which specific product depends on your needs.

3. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Thanks for your help.

I have a lot of reading to do.

4. Acorn, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

that tv tuner would be really cool if you could attach cable coming out from a existing cablebox so you could watch pay stations on your mac. the description says unscrambled only so not sure if that would work or not.

*edit I just realized with the hd dvr recorder you can get all cable stations since it hooks up to your cable box. sweet im going to have to get one of these. Dam you I was trying not to spend any money.