iMac. No going back?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by imanidiot, Nov 13, 2014.

1. imanidiot Suspended

I had ordered and received and returned (because of dead pixels) a 2013 27' iMac. It took me awhile to get used to the larger display (coming from a mid-2010 21.5"), but I was starting to. When I had to return it. Now I am waiting for my card to be credited in order to order another, but am starting to wonder if I should not order the Retina iMac, especially since I plan on keeping it for awhile. In other words, if I can't find the specs I want on a refurb, is there any reason to order a new 2013 27' iMac when, for about $300, I can buy a machine which appears (should Apple Desktops survive) to be much more future-proof (i.e. a better investment)?

Please keep in mind that I am not a photo or video editor, but have read speculation that in the next overhaul of the iMac line, they will all be Retina. So is there any reason to invest in a tech that is about to become extinct? Even if, for someone like me, a super display is not the ultimate concern?

2. WilliamG macrumors G3

90% of my Retina iMac use is just... browsing/email/whatever. Retina all the way. You don't need to be using photo/video apps to appreciate the huge difference.

3. imanidiot thread starter Suspended

Thanks. And I just learned that I can walk into my local Apple Store (Cherry Creek in Denver) and buy one (base model, but that's fine. I just want fusion drive---which is base-- and I can add RAM on my own. No ordering, no waiting. I'm mightily tempted. Like, tomorrow.

4. rkRusty macrumors member

rkRusty

It depends on a number of factors, principally what exactly you will use the iMac for, and how regularly. As you say, you aren't doing photo/video editing, which, aside from just looking pretty, is really what the Retina display is designed for. This immediately suggests you hold off on buying one.

Definitely, Apple will not be returning to non-Retina machines. This is apparent in all their other products bar the Air; there are six variations of the MacBook Pro presently sold at Apple.com, only one is non-Retina. So, you're right to suggest a Retina iMac might be a better investment long-term.

Right now the price is at its maximum, so it's just not worth it given that you've already said you won't use the machine for its intended purpose. I would wait for the price to come down before purchasing.

Ultimately, it really depends on what your needs are. Retina is here to stay regardless, but the price on the Retina iMac puts it well out of the market, for the time being, of people who won't use it to its full capacity. Unless you need it urgently, sit back and wait, chances are Retina iMacs will soon appear refurbished on Apple.com at much more justifiable prices, at which point you can make a better decision. Either way, non-Retina is being phased out, so unless you desperately need an iMac soon, don't buy non-Retina.

5. imanidiot thread starter Suspended

My dilemma is that my current iMac is a mid-2010, and while it's not acting up, it's 4+ years old. Which is to say, the spinning drive is 4+ years old. I have two Time Machine backups, so I'm not worried about losing stuff, but it's 4+ years old, and I'm anticipating problems. The 2013 I had, while I had it, was amazingly fast, and the display was just so much better than what I am used to. But I don't want to invest in a dinosaur if I can help it. While I don't strictly speaking need a new machine right now, I worry about the one I have dying anyway, which will force my hand.

And I want a new iMac:rolleyes:

6. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Retina is better for everything. I love how all these people talk about the 5K display as though it's specially intended for video and photo editing and doesn't add any value past that. It makes no sense. The reality is that the number one feature of the retina display is clean, clear rendering of text.

The basic question you have to ask is "is it worth spending an extra $200-500 to have it now vs. possibly cheaper later?" Refurb machines will not be much cheaper, so the real question is how quickly the riMac will supplant the regular iMac. Maybe a year, no more than two, IMHO. For me, the answer is "hell yes!" For others, the answer is less clear. But I would say that buying a non-retina machine is a poor choice today.

7. imanidiot thread starter Suspended

Thank you, I'm feeling the same way.
    Hell, I'm in my 60's, I might not be alive in 2 years, you know? (Not trying to be morbid, just realistic).

8. rkRusty macrumors member

rkRusty

Yeah, age is also a factor. In which case, absolutely go for the Retina iMac, so long as you anticipate keeping it for a while, obviously. Either way, don't go back to non-Retina.

9. WilliamG macrumors G3

Yep. Even if I did zero photo editing, I'd still have bought my 5K iMac.

10. ikaka macrumors regular

ikaka

I was in between 2013 27" or the riMac and am I glad I spent the extra money.

It's amazing to even just browse the internet, everything is just so crisp!
    Get the AppleCare and you are future proof for at least next 3 years with nothing to worry about.

11. imanidiot thread starter Suspended

Thank everyone for your input, it's been very helpful. I think I know what I'm going to do.

12. rkRusty macrumors member

rkRusty

"All these people" are the people who don't buy Ferrari's to do the school run. Buying an iMac with Retina display when you're only going to occasionally, briefly surf the web is foolish, and does not justify the cost. The very first thing I said was that it depends what he wants it for.
    "All these people" don't have the bank balance to say "hell yes!".

13. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

If you are buying a 27" iMac to "occasionally, briefly surf the web," I don't understand why you are spending nearly $2k for a machine you aren't going to use. I assume that anyone who is a) looking at buying a 27" iMac and b) curious enough about it to go to a forum is someone who plans to spend a serious amount of time in front of it.

If you don't plan to spend a lot of time in front of the computer, I highly recommend picking up a used 21" off of craigslist. I bought my 2009 Core 2 Duo garage machine for $200 after it was retired from the office. Add in $100 for a 256GB SSD and it is actually a pretty damned good web/facebook/twitter/itunes machine. (Even with the HDD, it was still fine for that use, but the drive was dying.)

14. ikaka, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

ikaka macrumors regular

ikaka

Base 2013 27" imac is already $1,799.00
    If you are spending that kind of money on the computer already, then for $700 more you get a faster processor, faster hard drive, faster video card and the best 27" display in the world right now, since there are no other like it at the moment.

And I believe regular day to day work is where you benefit a lot from this display, it's just so much more pleasant to read and write on it.

I think it's a no brainer.

15. imanidiot thread starter Suspended

Spot on. That is what I've decided to do; if you're going to spend that much money on something, then it must be important to you. If it's that important to you, then why not do it right, especially if you are like me, and intend to keep it for a long time (my current base 21.5" has served me well for almost 4-1/2 years).

16. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

If your current iMac is working fine why not keep using it until it finally croaks?
    Unless you're planning to sell it or pass it on to family?
    Of course just because you want a new one is a valid enough reason, if you're ok with that. Lol

17. Tough Guy macrumors regular

It totally depends on your financial situation. That kind of money is a fortune to me, but it might be chump change to you.

18. rainydays macrumors 6502a

+1

I find it funny that a lot of reviews say that the display is mostly useful for those who edit 4k videos. And while it's certainly nice, I fail to see the importance of previewing in 4k while editing.
    I think that the groups of professionals that benefits most from the retina screen are those who work with typography, graphics design, CAD etc. For those it's a total game changer to be able to see things with such fine detail.

Yeah, text and vector graphics is the area where this display really shines. And it's something consumers will enjoy as well. Not just because it looks pretty but it's actually more ergonomic.

I'd say if you are going to buy new, then go for a retina. If you're going to get the 2013, find a used or refurbished one for cheap.

19. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

I have had the Retina 5k for about 11 days. I would have to say, there is no going back. At least not for me. The screen is drop dead gorgeous!

20. blanka macrumors 68000

LOL. There's a 200$ retina tablet for that. Shoot a mosquito with a canon!.

21. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

If you're the type of person who reads these forums (the enthusiast), just get the Retina. Best Mac purchase I've made in years. Can't think of another upgrade that made such a difference in the day to day enjoyment of a computer.

22. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yes, even MR looks better in Retina :D
    The display matters so much in any computer. Some people just don't get that ;)

23. iDave macrumors 6502a

I've been waiting for years for high resolution desktop displays. I hate seeing pixels, anti-aliasing and all that blurry looking stuff. So, two weeks after they were introduced, I ordered a retina iMac, even though I'm not a fan of iMacs. I would rather have an equivalent Mac mini with a separate retina display. Unfortunately Apple won't give us that option, so iMac, here I come. Can't wait for it to arrive.

24. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

We are the same. I love my mini, but no good screen for it yet. IMac is OK, getting used to it. Sorta.