Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattluc

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
York, PA
Hi. I'm working with a white intel iMac and want to install a new OS. However, i've run into some nasty hurdles.

1. I can't manage to get the mac to receive keyboard input during startup. I've tested a brand new keyboard on other systems and it works fine, but none of the boot key combinations have any effect (can't even boot as target). The caps lock light won't even come on.

2. This is the reason i need to control the boot with the keyboard: I'm getting a "no bootable device found" message. This is even when a new Snow Leopard disc is in. I've also tried other bootable discs. The internal drive was working two days ago, but seems dead now. I want to run disk utility from a disc and repair the internal disk, but i can't. I wouldn't even be able to with it as a target.

3. The optical drives makes ugly noises, yet it does seem to be spinning the discs and i have had success reading from discs (prior to my unbootable situation).

Any thoughts, anyone? Thanks!

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I would imagine that the problem is that you are using a Bluetooth keyboard. If you have access to a hardwires USB one that should solve your problems.

*damn Hellhammer ;-)

TechWonderKid

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
How to fix it

all you need to do is hold down the cmd button on the keyboard if its not an apple keyboard do the same but hold alt key
make sure its a usb keyboard because the bluetooth ones don't work until a later sage in the boot up
first boot up holding the cmd or alt then it will come up saying what do you want to boot of click macintosh HD and it will boot up

to fix this from happening every time go into system preferences and start up disk and click macintosh HD

Good Luck

mattluc

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
York, PA
Totally forgot about this thread, sorry. It turns out the logic board was bad, replacing that fixed the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.