iMac no longer sees fusion drive after hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cole01, Jul 19, 2013.

1. cole01 macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,
    I just got my iMac's harddrive replaced and now when I go to about this mac, it shows my harddrive as a 1TB SATA disk as opposed to the 1TB fusion drive it showed before. I looked in system report, and there's definitely an SSD in my machine but it doesn't seem to be recognizing that it's a fusion.

Is there any way to reinstate this?

2. Tibbar macrumors member

Backup up your data to an external drive first. Carefully follow these directions.

3. cole01, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

cole01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you!

4. cole01 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't even have to do any of those steps, turns out. All I did was boot into the recovery partition and use disk utility to fix the problem, it recognized there was an issue right away. Booted back up, and my system info window now lists Fusion Drive. :D

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

this is correct with most fusion drives from the factory, restarting into OS X recovery will resolve it as disk utility will normally process the fusion process. never use third party tricks to get a normally working fusion drive back in order.

but its also kind of telling of apple retail, that they dont spend much time fixing the whole issue and appeared to over look this little step.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

cole01, glad you got it up and running.

May I ask what drive failed (Seagate or WD?) and how did it fail?