imac no volume

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alaskamac, Jun 14, 2007.

1. alaskamac macrumors newbie

bought my imac in january and now the volume is gone. it appears to be turned all the way up and there is a circle with a line through it. "no output devices found" under preferences--->sound.

i have tried repair permissions, restart, and now i'm considering resetting the PRAM is that safe?? it's still under warranty maybe i should just take it in?

will

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, resetting the PRAM is safe. Usually a restart fixes this bug, but since you've already tried that; have you got any speakers plugged in? If resetting the PRAM doesn't help, then open Audio MIDI Setup in the Utilities folder and take a screenshot for us. :)

3. alaskamac thread starter macrumors newbie

no volume

no other speakers plugged in...not sure how to "take a screen shot" i must be a newbie.

sorry,
    w

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ahh, okay. You can take a screenshot by pressing COMMAND-SHIFT-3 at the same time. That'll create an image of your full screen on your Desktop. Alternatively, press COMMAND-SHIFT-4 and select only the area you want captured, or press COMMAND-SHIFT-4-SPACEBAR and click on a window you want captured. The COMMAND key has an Apple on it. :)

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

OP...if your screenshot is large, check out this guide for how to adjust the settings so that you can upload it here.

6. alaskamac thread starter macrumors newbie

no volume

fixed the volume problem by resetting the PRAM. thanks for the tip on screenshots. to be honest i'm kinda bummed after being a mac owner only since january and having all these petty things go wrong.

any ideas on why i can't get mail to lauch when i click it on the dock. i click the icon , it bounces , then nothing. just my desktop. when i try to quit using the quick keys it doesn't work. the only way to quit mail is force quit.

frustrated in alaska

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Had Mail ever worked for you? If you open a new user account in System Preferences and try opening Mail from that account, does it work? If it does, then the problem's within your Home folder. :)

8. alaskamac thread starter macrumors newbie

i believe it may have something to do with trying to install a hotmail plugin. i really wish i could just start over and leave it alone.

w

as far as your question on whether mail had ever worked for me. when i first got the imac in january a friend set it up where i could continue to use my hotmail account. i started having trouble sending compact digital pics to friends(my pictures i would send would take up their entire screen) so i heard this hotmail plugin may help make the connection between mail and hotmail.(mail has an option on sizing your digital pic before you send) i obviously don't know what i'm doing