iMac not booting past white screen, small amounts of pixelation?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by -pete-, Nov 22, 2012.

1. -pete-, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012

-pete- macrumors member

I have just tried to restart my 2011 iMac and it has become stuck on the initial white screen (before the grey spinning gear) prior to the reboot it had being running fine for about 4 hours.

I initially thought that it may be trying to boot from the scratched PS2 game I had in the drive (was experimenting with PCSX2 before the reboot) I have tried every button combination I can find to eject the disk or boot into a different OS, I have also tried resetting the SMC and PRAM (I didn't get the 2nd beep) but to no avail. I have also taken out the extra 4gb of memory I installed to go back to the stock 4gb and swapped the stock 4gb for the new RAM but this hasn't helped either.

I have also noticed there is a small line of pixelation at the bottom of the screen, the height of it varies but it is usually around 4 pixels high, some of them are random colours but most of them are black, does this mean the graphics card has gone?

2. Siderz macrumors 6502a

Does this include holding the right click button of your mouse/trackpad down while it boots?

Have a go at that if you haven't, it will force the disc out.

Otherwise you may need to take a trip to the Genius bar.

3. -pete- thread starter macrumors member

Yes, the mouse clicks won't work either, (i have wired mouse and well as a wireless one, neither worked) to be honest the pixelation to me would mean it is more likely hardware than software?

4. Siderz macrumors 6502a

You're probably better off on the live chat, calling them up, or going to the Genius bar.

Was about to suggest the Apple forums but I see you've already posted there.