Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skeeve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2009
My 2009 iMac started behaving very oddly. On the computer, we have four user profiles set up two of which are admin users. A couple of months ago I noticed that under my user ID(Admin) I'm not able to access the internet but under the other admin ID the internet can be accessed. I have a direct cable connection to my router and have turned off the WiFI on the computer. We have also noticed that when we are connected to the internet with the working admin profile the connection drops and the only way to reconnect is to reboot the system. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm not an expert in network problem solving.

However... if I couldn't get connected, I'd first try deleting the preference files related to the "network" pref pane (in the user account that's giving you problems).
I think a relevant file might be:
com.apple.NetworkUtility.plist

Then, I'd start fresh.

No promises, just something I'd try...

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
My 2009 iMac started behaving very oddly. On the computer, we have four user profiles set up two of which are admin users. A couple of months ago I noticed that under my user ID(Admin) I'm not able to access the internet but under the other admin ID the internet can be accessed. I have a direct cable connection to my router and have turned off the WiFI on the computer. We have also noticed that when we are connected to the internet with the working admin profile the connection drops and the only way to reconnect is to reboot the system. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Clear any DNS entries and then refresh your DHCP lease.

Skeeve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions. I unplugged the network cable as well as the iMac for a days and somehow when I plugged everything back in all users on the computer were able to connect to the internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.