iMac not detecting Samsung Plasma via MDP->HDMI

Discussion in 'iMac' started by swindmill, Apr 1, 2011.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I just replaced an older Samsung 50" plasma with a newer and higher end model Samsung 50" plasma. My older one worked fine with my iMac. My new Samsung isn't detected at all as an external display. Any ideas? I'm using a Monoprice MDP->HDMI adaptor. I tested it with my MacBook on a different TV and it's working fine. My MacBook isn't detecting the new Samsung either.

2. Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

Can you select the HDMI input from the menus on the Samsung TV before you've got the iMac to recognize it? I think the iMac won't send out video through HDMI unless it detects the HDMI being connected on the other end.

I know my Samsung LCD TV won't let me select an HDMI input unless the input is connected AND powered on AND sending a video signal. That could cause the whole problem. I don't have an HDMI-MDP connector, or I'd test it out right now. With the way my Samsung TV works, if I plugged in my PS3 using HDMI to the TV, and powered the PS3 off, the TV stays on the HDMI input until I switch it. You might be able to do something similar, and switch the cable to your iMac.

Spike

3. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

It doesn't show up on the list of active inputs, so I guess it's not detecting it at all. I plugged an apple tv into the input that my iMac is in; got it active; and switched it back to the iMac. It still says "check signal cable".

4. Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

I suppose there could be a problem with the HDMI port(s) on your TV, but I think it's more likely something to do with the way the two devices send/receive video signals, especially since you said the AppleTV works on your plasma.

I know this much:

When I plug a MDP cable into the back of my iMac, it does nothing until I connect the other end of the video cable into a video source/display. Also, my Samsung TV will not allow me to select an HDMI video source that is not active.

Seems odd that even after disconnecting your AppleTV from the same HDMI port that you switch over to your iMac, and the TV shows "check signal cable," that the TV would still not tell the computer to send its video signal. I wish I had the cable to test my Samsung out for you.

Most places that sell big TVs have pretty good return policies on them. If using it as a display for the iMac is a large part of what you want it for, it would probably be worth exchanging it for another TV.

Spike

5. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I'm going to be replacing my older receiver soon, and then I'll have HDMI switching from the receiver, which may have an affect on things. It seems to be a quirky problem, so maybe there's a quirky solution.

6. aswitzer macrumors newbie

I have the same issue, using the same cable, but with a new Samsung LED Series 6000 TV, and a MacBookPro as the computer source.

I've been in contact with Samsung support quite a bit, but no solution yet. It basically boils down to the same thing - my MBP and cable work fine on other TV's, but the Samsung does not recognize any device connected to whatever HDMI port I try to use on the Samsung TV.

7. Jsgen182 macrumors newbie

If you run the mini dvi-hdmi through a oppo HDMI switch it works every time. And the one I have can be controlled by a universal remote.