Imac not printing after upgrade to El Capitan

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by M1kel, May 15, 2017.

1. M1kel macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have been using a previous iMac with my HP 4000n printer via a USB cable without any problem.

Since I've upgraded to a new iMac 21 inch running El Capitan 10.11.6 I'm having problems printing.

When i try to print i am probably only successful 1 time in 10. Most of the time a get an almost blank page with a single line printed at the top of the page.

It shows .11.6 (build 15G1217) Quartz PS Context) This is always the same then it prints %%title: and the name of what i am printing.

Ive tried to reload the driver and it will usually print correctly the first time after doing this but then revert as before.
    If anyone can help that would be great:)

Thanks,
    M1kel

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That's a postscript error.
    Try printing, with the PS driver unselected.
    Or, delete the printer from your System Preferences/printers & Scanners pref, then re-add, ignoring the choice to set up as Postscript printer.
    You could also try using the drivers that are supplied with the Gutenprint software.
    Gutenprint support is sometimes a little variable - some models work great, others, not so much. But your LaserJet 4000n is at least listed as a supported printer. Apple's current printer support page does list that series, but sometimes the postscript driver has been lost, or simply doesn't work properly.
    So, Gutenprint is worth trying as an alternative.

3. M1kel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks DeltaMac.
    Using Glutenprint drivers seems to have sorted this so far. Rally appreciate your help.
    Mike