iMac not reading SD card

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marklindo13, Aug 25, 2009.

1. marklindo13 macrumors newbie

marklindo13

I need some help with a problem that i have encountered recently. I not to long ago bought a 4GB SanDisk DSi SD card. i plugged it into an adapter and my iMac doesnt seem to be reading the card (it doesnt show up on my desktop with my other external drives. The adapter reads other SD cards with the same adapter fine. Is this a problem with my iMac or the SD card? if it is a problem with either, some help would be appreciated. In case you need to know, its the 2009 revision 20' iMac with the dual core 2.66 processer, Nvidia 9400m graphics, 2 gigs of RAM

2. challiman macrumors member

I don't have an answer but want to add that I've used several SD cards in my MBP with the SD slot and all worked fine except one. Can't see any difference at all, but it doesn't show up anywhere. The data is there, as I can see it in my camera and load it via USB, but just the SD card in the slot did not work. I have no idea if it is the card or the slot. I did think maybe I had LOCKED the card, but forgot about it til I saw your post. I'll check that and let you know. Good luck.

3. marklindo13 thread starter macrumors newbie

marklindo13

thanks, i really would like to fix this as i cant return the card (Lost the reciept)

4. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

What size are the sd cards that were able to be read. My guess is that they 2gbs or less that are able to be read.

anything over 2gbs are sdhc cards which is a slightly different format and can't be read on older card readers.

5. marklindo13 thread starter macrumors newbie

marklindo13

Thanks Dobbs2, i think tou are right. the other SD cards i was using were all smaller then 2 gigs. i guess i will have to get a new card reader