iMac not recognising my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kathmat, Jul 1, 2009.

1. kathmat macrumors member

Love my Mac, only had it for three months, but there are frustrations. Latest one is that I just bought a Panasonic DMC-ZS1 10MP 12X which I love. However, on attaching it to my new iMac in spite of the box saying that it is iPhoto compatible, the computer is not "finding" it? I have two other digital cameras, a Pentax and a Sony and there was no problem with either. I would love to know whether anyone else has a Panasonic and has had or is having a problem and did they come up with a solution? I can't return my Mac (would not want to) but do I need to return the camera? No point if I can't get it to work. I have spent the past two hours looking for a solution online and reading the manual, but they (Panasonic) seem to be partial to the PC and even their instructions for the Mac refer to installing a driver via ones SD slot on the PC - huh?? I bought this camera for its 12X zoom and having used the previous version of the Lumix along with my old PC it is a great camera. I can't believe there is no solution. I kinda wish that when one buys a Mac that they would give you a list of what NOT to buy re devices as our Sony videocam can't be used either as it is not compatible with the Mac?? How about it Apple!!

2. kathmat thread starter macrumors member

iMac not recognising Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1

First time I have ever answered myself - sorry folk, but the solution presented itself right after my question. It did not show itself before, but I finally got a display on turning on the camera which allowed me to change the format from PC to pict, and now it works like a charm! Phew - I really love that camera.

3. fwlaw88 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my Panasonic ZS1. How did you do that. How did you change your format? Thanks.

4. kathmat thread starter macrumors member

iMac not recognising Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1

Actually it was unbelievably easy and I don't know how I missed it the first 50 times I tried :rolleyes:
    Just plug camera into the usb port (I used the one on the keyboard as my hub was full and it worked fine) then turn it on and unlike the village idiot yours truly, make sure you are looking at the display, not watching your monitor to see what happens. The display will say PLEASE SELECT THE USB MODE, and as the default it is set to PC. Just scroll up to the second choice PICT select this and iPhoto should (did for me) immediately recognise the camera. :)