iMac not sleeping automatically

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mpts, Aug 9, 2011.

1. mpts macrumors member

Hi there,

I got myself an iMac 27" just recently. I often use it to watch videos over VLC while falling asleep. Unfortunately I find the iMac awake every time in the morning, with only the display asleep. So basically I can hear that the iMac is still on and when I touch the mouse it is immediately on.

Within the energy settings I have def set it up to sleep after 15mins. Still nothing happening.

Anyone an idea what I could do?

Cheers!

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I had the same issue. This is what I did to resolve it:

1. Unchecked all sharing options
    2. Reset PRAM (Hold down CMD-P-R while rebooting, listen for chime twice and release keyboard keys)
    3. Boot into safe mode (Hold down shift-key while rebooting, release when you see the apple symbol). I checked to make sure that the iMac would sleep.
    4. Reboot normally
    5. Turned back on all appropriate sharing options

My 2011 27" iMac now seems to be sleeping like it should.

3. mpts thread starter macrumors member

Hi there....wow, how did you come up with this?

I will give it a try, many thanks. But what exactly are sharing options?

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Go under System Preferences->Sharing. If you have any items checked off uncheck them.

5. mpts thread starter macrumors member

Hm, unfortunately this did not work for me. Did what you said and still I woke up this morning with the sound of my iMac in the background. It's really weird, because all my Macbooks went to sleep perfectly.

What else could be the reason for this? Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that I have an external HDD attached to my iMac?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

My iMac has never slept automatically, even though I have tried pretty much all the tricks. I leave my iMac on overnight quite often though so I don't mind really.

7. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Does the computer automatically go to sleep when booted into safe mode?

I have two external hard drives connected to my iMac. Have you called Apple? That is what I would do next.

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Do you have wake up on network access enabled?

Also their is a widget called deepsleep which makes your mac go into deepsleep ( a mode which happens if the computer isn't used for hours) It is less likely to wake up from that. It is a free software (hence my attachment)

Attached Files:

9. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

We have a Mac mini which seems to have a bad case of insomnia too. I'm often finding the display on when no one is using it, presumably because it's not going to sleep and just a slight bump of the desk wakes up the display. It shur is annoying.

10. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Do you have time machine set up for backup? If you do, your iMac might be just doing its job for you!

11. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Thats what I was going to suggest.

12. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

I also use the iMac for the same as you and have come to the following conclusion. As the program is still running in this case VLC media player the computer ignores the sleep instruction ans continues playing the video.

You should be careful of this as images after some period of time may burn into the screen which could result in a nice bill from Apple!

13. ConsiderPhlebas macrumors member

ConsiderPhlebas

I had the same problem when I got my iMac back from the local Apple store after the SeaGate HD was replaced. It had went to sleep normally before that. I checked and all the Energy Saver settings were still the same. Just for grins I checked the restore defaults and it started working. Don't know why, but maybe something 'behind the scenes' got reset.

14. mpts thread starter macrumors member

Cool, thanks guys.

> Will try deepsleep
    > I don't think it has anything to do with VLC, because it stops playing video after the file is finished, so in most cases after half an hour. Then it also closes the video window and only shows the playlist
    > I will try to reset my energy settings, maybe that works....

15. Taz Mangus, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2011

Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Yes, I have wake on network access enabled.

When the iMac sleeps time machine does not run.

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Disable it. Otherwise it's unlikely that your iMac will sleep automatically and even if it did, it will wake up by time to time.

17. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Since I use wake on demand, disabling it will cause an issue for me. Besides, I am *NOT* having an issue with my iMac automatically sleeping. In Apple support documentation it clearly outlines instances where the iMac will wake for brief periods of time which I am perfectly fine with as that is now it was designed to work.

18. mpts thread starter macrumors member

So I tried deepsleep now and it didn't work either. Does it still work on Lion?

What else could be the reason or a solution?

> I am falling asleep with VLC running, video ends after 30mins approx.
    > I have an external HDD attached
    > Wake on demand is set off

19. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

did you try this?

20. mpts thread starter macrumors member

Yes, that's what I meant with wake on demand is disabled.
    Any other ideas?

What could be the reason? VLC, HDD?