iMac not sleeping under Lion 10.7.1

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by parosser, Sep 17, 2011.

1. parosser macrumors newbie

Hi,

I know there are other threads but it does seem like a lot of people are having this issue. Hopefully Apple are reading and they provide a fix.

I have a 27inch iMac with the 3.2 i3 processor and 4G of RAM. I have a wired network connection to a 1TB Timecapsule and on the same network is an AppleTV2, also wired.

I looked at other threads on this subject and a lot of people to say to switch off sharing etc. I have done this and have no sharing at all. Other than home sharing so my AppleTV can play my music and videos.

I had the exact same configuration under Snow Leopard and my computer would go to sleep. (Except of course during a backup or using AppleTV).

Now under Lion, no sleep at all! I can't even tell it to sleep by pushing the power button or by selecting sleep in the Apple menu. The screen goes black but the fans and HD are still whirring.

I would like my computer to sleep!

Thanks.

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Did you try a PRAM reset? My moms iMac wouldn't sleep after installing Lion until we did a PRAM reset and everything works fine now.

-Kevin

3. parosser thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this and once reset I logged back in and tried to get my iMac to sleep - but it still will not sleep!!

Thanks.

4. Richard L macrumors newbie

iMac not sleeping

When I first installed Lion it was horrendous, if there was a USB drive connected (including Time Capsule) my iMac would keep switching off and then immediately back on again. The hard drive packed up on the iMac, my local store replaced it, at my cost it was 2.5 years old, and did a clean install of Lion on it. The problem remained.

With the upgrade to 10.7.1 it seemed to reduce, did not always happen but occasionally did.

Now a few weeks on and it's started again, even though the iMac is not set to go to sleep it powers down then up again as it pleases if I am not actually using it. As the iMac is connected to a master plug that switches off all peripherals you hear them all going off and on with it. As said, it does this if not using the iMac and even when it is set not to go to sleep.

I await the next upgrade, hopefully before my new hard drive does not wear out with the repeated switching on and off!

5. yegon macrumors 68020

My late '08 mbp doesn't sleep automatically, never has since running Lion. Tried everything. Hopefully a fix is incoming.

6. yegon macrumors 68020

Quoting myself and double posting (but a month apart)? For shame!

Anyway, the above still holds true on 10.7.2. I've just done a completely fresh install of Lion and it STILL doesn't sleep automatically. Any ideas? I've tried all the usual tricks. Is it possibly related to the hdd or, I forget, does the mbp have the equivalent of a CMOS battery that may need replacing or something? It is 3 and a half years old after all.

Pretty annoyed that a clean install hasn't solved it, but on the bright side Lion does seem noticably quicker than my old Leopard->SL->Lion upgrade install, so it isn't all bad news.