iMac not starting up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Maximus38, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Maximus38 macrumors member

My 6 year old iMac refuses to start up....all I get is a White screen with the Apple logo. I have tried switching off and restarting, the same thing happens each time. Is this something that can be fixed?
    Suggestions and advice would be appreciated!

2. Maximus38 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you and I have tried those steps.....nothing makes any difference, I am unable to get any screen other than the white one with the Apple logo.
    I will have to take it to an Apple repair place, I know it won't come cheap!
    I did notice before it failed to start up that no program was working, the mouse pointer was ablep to click on icons but none of the programs were responding in any way. When I shut it down and rebooted, that's when I got the White screen. Does this give any extra clues?

----------

Thank you and I have tried those steps.....nothing makes any difference, I am unable to get any screen other than the white one with the Apple logo.
    I will have to take it to an Apple repair place, I know it won't come cheap!
    I did notice that before I restarted it, the screen had frozen and while I could use the mouse to click on icons, none of the programs were responding. Does this give any extra clue as to what might have happened?

3. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

have you tried starting with mac sys. disc that got with comp

4. Shahsahilv macrumors newbie

2009 imac 24"
    Not starting up. Unfinished progress bar in grey everytime i start up.
    Please help.please please.
    Once it did start up but itunes failed to open when i tried. Not starting up now.
    Please i am in deep trouble with my data.
    Please help.