iMac not working with netgear router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brianp, Mar 22, 2008.

1. brianp macrumors newbie

I've just got a netgear DG834PN wireless router, and it works fine with a core duo 17" white iMac and a 17" macbook pro (both running tiger). However, I've just bought a new 20" imac with leopard, and it can't join the wireless network (although it works fine using ethernet).

Does this sound like a faulty airport card?

Thanks in advance.

2. GyOzA macrumors newbie

Try reseting your router, and try chaning the security mode too (mine worked with WEP and didnt work either with WPA or WPA2-WPA). I could connect to the network but the connection speed was not good. whenever i tried to load a page with lots of pictures or texts, the page just hung. I bought an AirPort Extreme Base Station from Fry's today and hooked it up, now my connection is blazing fast, no more hangs and disconnects.

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I think in general it's a problem to have combo modem/router devices, but some may work.

First go to the webpage to change the router settings. Make sure that you have your own SSID and password. WPA2. Mixed (Wireless B/G setting) or G only if that's all you'll ever have on your network.

Turn off everything. Start with cycling the modem and letting it start up, then the router, then first the iMac and connect it. Then do the rest of your computers one by one and making sure it all works.

4. brianp thread starter macrumors newbie

ive already tried all that, thanks anyway though.

5. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Is there a place nearby that you can take the iMac and test to see if it can connect to the wireless? Or perhaps unsecured in your current house from a neighbor?