iMac now or later??

ss987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
8
0
i know that people have posted this topic, but i can't for the life of me decide what to do...right now, the iMac 20" core duo looks good, especially with the free printer/free ipod promotion... but i can't decide if it is worth the wait for the core 2 duo...i can always upgrade later to leopard, but will the core 2 duo be that much better and worth the wait (also losing at least 1, probably both promotions in the process)? i just can't decide what to do, any advice would be appreciated (the configuration i want now is 2 GHz iMac 20", 2 gb ram, 256 mb video memory, 250 gb hdd), but who knows what will be available when the new processor comes out? sorry for rambling, really appreciate replies...
 

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
1,568
0
Brooklyn
ss987 said:
i know that people have posted this topic, but i can't for the life of me decide what to do...right now, the iMac 20" core duo looks good, especially with the free printer/free ipod promotion... but i can't decide if it is worth the wait for the core 2 duo...i can always upgrade later to leopard, but will the core 2 duo be that much better and worth the wait (also losing at least 1, probably both promotions in the process)? i just can't decide what to do, any advice would be appreciated (the configuration i want now is 2 GHz iMac 20", 2 gb ram, 256 mb video memory, 250 gb hdd), but who knows what will be available when the new processor comes out? sorry for rambling, really appreciate replies...
This IS a common problem, and mine too, but I've decided to go ahead and buy. I'm getting the same machine as you, but 500GB HD. The way I look at it, if by the time they put Core2/Merom's in the iMacs I decide I need the upgrade, I'll just take it in to a specialist and have them upgrade the processor. From what I heard, it's a painless process in this model.
Plus, I need the machine for school in September, so I can't really wait that long, and I'd like to go ahead and have it to set it up and test everything out. Free Printer/iPod thing is a great incentive as well.

Just my opinion, good luck!
 

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
1,767
1
Get it now! Otherwise you'll be waiting for ever for the next model, like I did with my iBook. Then I bought the last revision 1 month before the macbook came out!:(
 

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
2,478
2
It's the nature of technology: you buy, you're contemporary for a few months, and boom, you're outdated.

You can't fret about being a rev. or even a generation behind. The question you need to ask yourself is:

Will the next rev. of the iMac produce a machine that's significantly more capable than the current machine?

Unless you're doing high end stuff, I would argue that the answer is a definitive no. And even if you are doing high end stuff, are you going to see a tangible performance increase after one update to the line?

More simply -- you're not deciding between a Performa and an iMac! :D Whatever bells and whistles (read: Front Row) come out on the next iMac, the current iMac is still a very good machine (and one I think you'll be pretty happy with).
 

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
842
0
Remember if they update the iMac after you buy your's, that does not change how awesome you're machine is/will be. :) Don't play the waiting game.