iMac now or later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macman426, Mar 17, 2008.

  1. macman426 macrumors newbie

    Jul 27, 2003
    Ugh. So, I need a new computer, and I've been keeping my eye on the 20 inch iMac. I noticed the Apple Store has refurbished models for a good price, however, as many of you know, the last time the iMac saw an update was in August 2007. I am desperately waiting for new iMacs to be released so I can compare the new models with the current (old) ones. If the upgrades are very minor (i.e processor, speed) then I suppose it would be OK to purchase the older refurbished models I see now. But, what can I expect in the new models? And, does it seem logical to even consider buying a year old refurbished model? Does anyone at all have a clue as to when Apple will update these?

    thanks for your input!
  2. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502


    Nov 28, 2007
    Refurbished? Year Old?

    I was under the impression [suggested rumour] that there is a bunch of "limited time special" refurbs that weren't refurbs at all. Apple are being bumped onto the new Penryn processors, the successor to the Merom core by Intel. So they are clearing stock as 'refurbished' at discounts [23%] twice that as their Black Friday sale rates. If the machine is shipping with Leopard, it is at least [theoretically] less that five months old.
    As to buying an obsolete iMac? Well, the MacBook refresh gave you a better processor speed but less (25%) L2 Cache and no Apple remote. The new [more energy efficient] processor does boast better battery life which is valuable to a portable, but not to a [static] iMac.
    My only question is why a 20 inch? Surely the 24 inch is the default model unless someone else is setting the budget?
  3. Steve(NotJobs) macrumors newbie

    Mar 8, 2008
    I think you should just go for it. I mean yes, the Macrumors Buyer Site says no don't buy yet, but realistically how long can you honestly wait around for something?
    I did that before, and got so paranoid about the whole thing, i.e when the update would be, I ended up not getting anything at all.
    Now, after seeing the MacBooks updates recently, a new MacBook is on the way in 2 weeks.

    The iMacs won't get a facelift anytime soon.What happened with them last summer was huge.We won't see anything like that for another year or so in my opinion.We'll be looking at speed bumps, etc. for the time being, which you can always do yourself when the time comes.

    My advice: Let your breath go, and buy, buy, buy!
  4. trip1ex macrumors 68000

    Jan 10, 2008
  5. dpcott macrumors newbie

    Feb 1, 2008
    Idaho, USA
    My response to you, like I tell most people who ask me for my opinion, is, "if it is right for you now, go ahead and do it." Yes, it may seem that updates on the imac are certainly closer than the Macbook or Macbook Pro, but like was already mentioned, it can (and probably will) drive you crazy trying to determine when is or isn't the right time to buy. Then there is the opportunity cost of having or not having the laptop now rather than later, but I won't bore this thread with that ;)
  6. dlastmango macrumors 6502

    Oct 17, 2004
    West Coast - FLORIDA
    I'm in the same shoes as you... I am a seasoned "Mac Guy"
    and I know the correct answer " If you or I (or anyone) NEED it now...then buy it. The current system is great in every regard for the average user. and the price difference of a refurb is really nice!
    Typically I would not consider myself the average user since I am coming from a PowerMac used daily for video editing and sound. But this system is different for me. This will be a media room centerpiece.
    So I'm waiting for an update to the iMac since I dont need this for work or school (thankfully I've been out quite a while now). Its killing me since I have made up my mind and have $$$ just sitting here for apple. I'm very impulsive but I know that waiting will be a smarter choice. IF i bought now and they came out with a new system I would want that one...
    Another positive to waiting is that i think this will be a revision B to the alum iMacs. Hopefully they will have worked some or all of the bugs of Rev A. ( sure I know there may be new bugs) I'm hoping for a screen revision on the 20" as well as a speed bump.

    thats where I am... I say wait if you can.
  7. macman426 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 27, 2003
    Since I am not desperately needing a new iMac at this moment, my 15 inch flat panel iLamp from 2002, will serve me until Apple releases new iMacs which should be soon. I'll take a look at exactly how different the updated machines are, and if they're not too different, I'll pray to the Apple Gods that they still have some of those discounted revA iMacs in the refurb department.
  8. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a


    Jul 23, 2007
    As others have said.....

    If the current (old) iMacs work for you buy it. Even if you wait for the next minor speed bump, you will never see the difference! And besides, even when the new ones come out they are already out dated when they ship! So you can never stay ahead of the game.
  9. dpcott macrumors newbie

    Feb 1, 2008
    Idaho, USA

    they wont be....
  10. albusseverus macrumors 6502a


    Nov 28, 2007
    Don't buy a 20" iMac

    As the owner of a new 20" iMac, I wouldn't recommend buying one AT ALL. Read the Apple support forums, especially for the monitor - If you want that kind of grief (or you don't believe it will happen to you), by all means buy one.

    Mine is quite typical - text that looks black & solid at the top of the screen, looks thin and patchy at the bottom of the screen. Colours are even worse. If you're fussy about the monitor, DON'T BUY ONE.

    Apple are not fixing the problem, they won't acknowledge a problem and there are a lot of disgruntled customers.

    By the time you save up a few more shekels to get a 24", the new models will be out. And you will be much happier.
  11. lisamel macrumors regular


    Mar 1, 2008
    Oslo, Norway
    I was in your shoes not long ago.. I've never bought a mac before and I was really eager to get one fast, until I saw the talks of updates. I waited for a few weeks, and every tuesday it was 'due' to be released. It didnt. So I went and got one, and I'm happy as Larry :D
    I think the 20" is great and I cant see anything wrong with the monitor.. I say you should go for it. ;)
  12. 7031 macrumors 6502


    Apr 6, 2007
    Look. I think you are just having a bad experience. Keep calling Apple, and try emailing

    My iMac screen is brilliant and I get awesome colour reproduction on it. However, I have the old intel core 2 duo white one.
  13. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I don't have a rule about purchasing during the end of a product cycle. Sometimes I'll tell someone to wait, and sometimes I'll tell someone to buy now.

    In your case, I'll have to advise you to wait. The iMac is truly and honestly due for an update very very soon. It's not coming in June (WWDC) or something. It'll come soon. If we were all quite sure it was coming in a few months, I'd probably just advise you to buy now. This isn't the case, so just wait.

Share This Page