iMac now, or wait for Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by snapdragonx, Jun 11, 2013.

  1. snapdragonx macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2012
    #1
    Well, the new Mac Pro definitely threw a spanner in the works I think. It's an intriguing machine, and I gotta say, I quite like it.

    I'm a professional video editor, and I currently use the rMBP for my work. I'm wanting to upgrade to something more powerful, and a maxed-out 27" iMac was looking like the way to go.

    But this new Mac Pro looks good too. All of my editing is done to external RAIDs, so the lack of internal storage isn't a biggy for me.

    What I'm wondering is; in terms of performance would I really notice the difference between a maxed-out iMac and a Mac Pro? I realise that technically the Mac Pro is a lot more powerful, but for video editing is it really going to show?
     
  2. guillemn macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2012
    #2
    Depending what model of Mac Pro you might buy. I understad would be configurations as well.

    But what was presented was double GPU, and thats A LOT more that a any imac. Even the SSD only on imac will be much slower than MacPro, due they jumped to PCI-SDD and imacs hasn't yet.


    My understanding is that together with the MacPro a new thunderbold 4k display has to be launched too, if not which is the reason to include it? For me is very clear.

    The iMac will have also a refresh after summer adding new haswell procesors, pci-sdd and most important wifi ac. Many people did not notify that deepely but this is a big step and will last for years now. So purchase now a wifi N for a machine that I want me to last 4-5 years is step backwards.

    Basically all the MAC line now has to be refreshed with Wifi AC, PCI-SSD and Thunderbold 2.

    I belive will be iMac Retina on 2014, so together with then new design cicle and when almost 1 year of thunderbold 4k displays.
     
  3. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #3
    Well, I would say wait until you can't afford to wait any longer and then assess things. If you *need* (e.g. if you are losing money because you can't process stuff fast enough) then get a new Mac now. In that case, the MacPro is not an option. If you can afford to hang on until the close of the year, then do so.

    Mind you, that would be my advice whatever was on the horizon.
     

Share This Page