iMac now or wait for Mac World

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peteraigner, Dec 28, 2006.

  1. peteraigner macrumors newbie

    Dec 28, 2006
    First to tell I am complete new to Apple (well ok I own a Shuffle and i sometimes try to figure out how to work with a friends MB)

    I ordered an iMac 20" with 2,16 GHz 2GB Ram and the X1600 with 256MB VRAM just a few hours ago (will be shipped on 5th of January 2007)

    Now I heard from several Spots: Wait for MacWorld, its possible they update the graphic card. Others tell me they might improve the processor. Again others say both + 802.11n and other colours

    What is more likely to expect? If there is an improvement of the graphic card, will the prices of the "old" ones drop or will they just be replaced with same or higher prices?
    What about the processor? I don't really need a faster processor, and I also don’t want to pay more, now it would be about 200USD more for a rather minor change. Also I don't care about faster WLAN or different colours my iMac needs to be Plain white. :eek:

    But what bothers me now:
    I am buying it because I like to work in graphic design and movie editing, is a 20" enough? Are 250 GB HDD Enough?
    Then for playing Games (WC3, WoW, Quake3 and 4 and maybe FFXI) is the ATI X1600 good enough?

    I am pondering, if I should switch to 24" same setup just with the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 128 MB or to 20" with same setup just with 500GB HDD

    So, what would you recommend me?
    Thing is, the only thing that would make me wait is either a price drop on the models now on sale because of a new model or a mention worthy improvement of the graphic card.
    More important is, which would fit more to my needs :)

    I hope its OK in this part; also I didn't want to open two threads with almost the same content. :p
  2. southbark macrumors regular

    Dec 15, 2006
    one thing i have learned is if you wait for the latest update you will be waiting a very long time.If what is avalable now is ok for what ya need buy now. most people never use there system to its fullest potential
  3. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000


    Apr 12, 2005
    I've never had enough space, ever, the HD is always FULL with video editing.
  4. peteraigner thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 28, 2006
    yeah, but sometimes I reall smacked myself for not waiting 1 week longer, and I want to avoid it with my first apple

    Welll, thet it is not diffrent to Windows with the lack of diskspace ^^

    After a bit of reconsideration I think i will change my order to a 20" with 500 GB and don't get the 256VRAM (still confused about that)
  5. dllavaneras macrumors 68000


    Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    I've never had enough space, period :)

    if you can afford to wait, then do. You'll lose nothing and might gain a price drop or a processor/video card upgrade.

    If there's money to be made, order it now, without a doubt!
  6. Eckels macrumors newbie

    Dec 27, 2006
    I also intend to purchase an iMac, and have decided to wait until Mac World, since several people have mentioned that after Mac World there may be discounts on older machines, or upgrades to things like memory or video cards...

    What I'd like to know is, when will the upgrades/discounts will show up for purchase? If they announce upgrades such as a new video card, or more memory, when will I actually be able to purchase an upgraded machine? Or what about discounts? How long for them to kick in?

    Thanks in advance.
  7. southbark macrumors regular

    Dec 15, 2006
    Most of the changes they announce are available that day unless they specifacally say it will be available on a certain day.As for space you will never have enough hard drive space.The more space you have the more you wanna fill it up.
  8. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Dec 27, 2006
    With it being so close to the New Year you should at least wait for iLife 07...

    About the video card, I personally don't understand what all the fuss is about. I am more then happy with my 128mb card.
  9. savar macrumors 68000


    Jun 6, 2003
    District of Columbia
    As soon as the keynote is, there's no reason not to wait. It's less than two weeks, and we know they're going to be upgrade something. The iMac seems likely to get some minor updates.
  10. peteraigner thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 28, 2006
    whats so special about iLife 07 ? it also is sold seperatly like the 06 version right? so i can buy it anytime I want later ;) also it ought to buy included with leopard which is most likely to appear in march or may (so i've been told), and it ought to be shown at the macworld, and I surely won't wait till it is relased, Iam not THAT patient ^^

    @savar: well minor changes, the wifi most probably, and I wont use it ^^ if anything els is statet as minor, pls tell me ^^
  11. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Dec 27, 2006
    Why dish out for it, if you could get it included for no price at Macworld?, also, have past iLife programs been included with the OS? I don't believe so.
  12. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

    Old Smuggler

    Sep 8, 2006
    I've been thinking about buying a 24'' imac for my mother
    but i think i'll wait till after macworld to be safe
    i know there will be no major upgrades like santa rosa and more than 4gb addressable memory but they're not exactly power users yet
    it should suit their needs just fine
    she just got back from war with a corrupted windows laptop and a mac would have been of some help like automator to backup data and disk utility to hook up via firewire as an external drive so they could reformat into fat32 again but right now my dad is doing it the hard way (windows way) and has yet to ask for help from a mac user
    but once they have their own i think they'll see the light
    it will make a nice addition to their home
  13. macrumors 65816

    Nov 10, 2006
    Are there actually plans to update the iMac? I would think that they would wait for Santa Rosa since not much has changed up to now. I suppose a minor refresh on the GPU and HD, etc. would still be nice.

    It just makes me nervous though since I'm planning on purchasing a MBP on the weekend and I'm banking on the fact that it won't be changed at MacWorld. Hopefully that's still true. I wonder what the likelihood of Apple being willing to upgrade iLife for me for free given that it looks like I'll be receiving my MBP within 1 week of MacWorld and iLife '07 coming out.
  14. peteraigner thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 28, 2006
    oh yeay maybe I am forced to wait

    i just cancled my order becausde I wantet to change the HDD to 500 GB

    and now it says my creditcard has been rejected, uuuh hell yeah, need to cal bank and apple store tomorrow :(

Share This Page