iMac now or wait till May?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scaramoosh, Jan 10, 2016.

1. scaramoosh macrumors 6502

Do we know anything about a refresh? Seems like it's every 6 months now but maybe that is just due to Skylake and we wont see anything until October or even May 2017 now? For me it's not the CPU that is such an issue but the GPU, I'm really hoping for an Nvidia switch...

Is there any info? Otherwise I'll just order one now, just £2500 is a lot to put down.

Thanx.

2. cynics macrumors G4

3. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

If you want to buy one now... buy now. If you want to save some coin an Apple Refurb is always an excellent choice. I've owned many and never had an issue.

4. Serban Suspended

if you wait until May for a new one, don't. If you wait until Oct then wait

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

If you need something NOW, get it. If you can wait, wait. Technology always improves and being at the cutting edge never lasts that long. New generations are 10~20% faster than their immediate predecessors depending on type of task and new generations (at Intel, nVidia, et al) are a year or two apart - Apple's generations (6 months) are slower and usually by adding 200MHz to the CPU, which is pointless - or counterproductive depending on circumstances...)

I know that means lower profits, but until wages go back up we can't spend on the latest and greatest as much as we'd want to keep these companies from going under, unless they take more in taxpayer funded corporate welfare than they do customer revenue...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2016 ---
    ^^That.

Refurbs are great. 10~40% off depending on criteria, and most people do returns because they couldn't handle the glossy screen having vertical banding at low light levels or hated the keyboard not being evenly backlit. At 30% off, those are decent machines, if you can handle the nitpicks you might or might not find and/or care about.

Of course, "save some coin" - are we Skyrim addicts or playing at the Renaissance festival? :D

6. scaramoosh thread starter macrumors 6502

There is no refurb for what I want, the AMD 290 was weak, the 395X is a must for me as I like to boot Windows and game as well. I was just hoping maybe there are Nvidia rumours as AMD are **** for drivers...

I'm not worried about the money, I buy a new one every 2/3 years so it's not like £2500 is a lot over that period of time. I just hate buying something and then straight away I see in the news that it's redundant in a few months, I at least want a good 6-8 months with it.

7. Serban Suspended

8. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Update in October 2016, receiving November 2016. Bump in processor speed, possibly new graphics chip instead of a just a bump, updated ports that make no real world difference. Buy now.

9. cbrad8582 macrumors member

cbrad8582

I bought my 5k iMac w/ 2tb fusion. and r9 M395. All for $1988 with movers coupon. Thought it was a good price.

10. truckmount macrumors newbie

truckmount

Movers coupon?

11. cbrad8582 macrumors member

cbrad8582

Yeah, I live here in Knoxville, TN. And the manager let me use a Bestbuy 10% movers coupon while it was $200 off for the holidays. Couldn't believe i could use it. Because they changed there policy a while back. But stole that thing for that price. So, it can still be done.

12. scaramoosh thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm ordering now but I have a question, can I upgrade the ram and storage myself? If so does the flash only model have an sata slot? I'm assumed the fusion drive model has one, but then does that have a pcie slot? What I want is a 500GB pcie drive and then a 1TB SSD into a sata port.

I'm assume the GPU and CPU are soldered to the board and are non replaceable as it's using a Laptop GPU.

13. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

The RAM is a >60 second upgrade you can do at any time. And RAM prices will keep dropping over time. You can get better prices than OWC as well. Upgrading the internal drives is a huge, huge PITA as it is like surgery. The flash only model is pretty much not upgradable and with the Fusion drive model you can upgrade the HDD portion of the drive as all of the mounting hardware is there to put in something else (like an SSD). But it's a gazillion times easier to just use a thunderbolt (or USB3) SSD when the time comes to add more storage without a performance hit.

Get the 500GB NVRAM model and get an external USB 3.0 bus powered 1TB SSD.

14. scaramoosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there no way I can buy the sata mount for the flash drive version and install one? Doesn't any one sell the parts? If I buy the fusion one can I simply just upgrade the HDD to an SSD and then buy a 500GB compatible PCie card?

This is a big deal breaker if I cannot do either.

I'm OCD, I hate external anything.

15. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

There is no simple way to do that, you can easily damage anything when you open the iMac and also your warranty would be void.

Maybe you can find an authorized Apple repair shop to exchange the SATA-HDD with any SATA-SSD, but that service including a 1TB or larger SSD might be more expensive than paying for the 1TB flash storage upgrade when you buy the iMac. And I don't know if you still have warranty if they put something in that it is not supposed for belonging in there.

To exchange the 128GB PCIe flash storage from the Fusion Drive you need to buy a used one from someone who removed it from another Mac with the same connector. Nothing else will fit in and I don't think you'll easily find any cheap one.

16. scaramoosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I'm gonna pass on it, I need more storage than what they're offering and I just cannot stand HDDs any more. I'll build my own Windows PC instead... I dunno why Apple chose to go down this route, my Macbook will have to be enough.

17. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

Last May update for the iMac was last year, 2015. It was a cheaper configuration for the iMac 27" Retina and no "real" update, but still, it was an update :)

18. Richdmoore, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016

Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

One thing to consider is an external drive. The iMac is a desktop computer, which makes it much easier to use with an external boot drive vs a laptop that will be moved from place to place. I have a 1tb ssd boot drove hooked up via thunderbolt (Delock enclosure) to my 2011 iMac, it works just as well as an internal install.

EDIT: I just read the full message thread, you could get a backpack shelf to add the drive to make it look more stock and less external. At worse it would at least hide the external drive during use.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/H...rid_52243344970_&cid=aos-us-kwg-pla-btb-slid-

19. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Hoping to start seeing the Skylake refurbs start showing up sometime this month/February.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given that Apple just updated the line, this past fall, I'd say you're good to go, in buying it now. As mentioned we'll probably not see any refresh in May, that's just not what apple does, at least recent history indicates that.

21. cynics macrumors G4

I feel that's more of a debate on the definition of the word 'update'.

Wasn't that configuration just cheaper parts on the base model at the same price?

22. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Here is how to DIY http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMACHDD12/ A couple of points
    1. The iMac is an all in one, therefore not designed to be user upgradable except RAM and peripheral devices
    2. External solutions are now just as fast

23. Lankyman macrumors 68000

What you say is true, however, I'm with the OP on this one. Why on earth would you buy an AIO computer and then start adding external peripherals? For me it defeats the whole point of having an AIO. I was lucky in that my iMac is a mid-2011 model so 'relatively' o_O easy to upgrade to SSD.

However, I do suspect that given Apple's current policy of making their products almost non-upgradeable by the consumer it may well be my last. Windows 10 is a cracking good OS so I may simply go back to building the machine I want rather than what the manufacturer wants to sell me.

24. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

I never really got why they moved from the removeable backside that the white G5 and early intel iMacs sported. Well, better cooling is one reason but could still probably still be solved in a decent way. The mid-2011 seems to be the last iMac which you could replace the hard drive in any reasonable way (I personally added an ssd in less than 30 minutes to my 2011). 30 minutes to add a new drive can seem excessive but one needs to keep in mind it's an aio. The 2012 and on iMacs seems to be a PITA to install a new drive into

25. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

They just updated them, you will not see any more changes until fall.