Imac; now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by irishgrizzly, May 15, 2006.

  1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816


    May 15, 2006
    How much difference will new chips running 64bit make? With my current Mac on its last legs I need a new machine, but am tempted to wait until the new chips come out. I'm thinking that future builds of the OS will make good use of them and don't want to be stuck with the a weak CPU in 3 years time.

    (I'm aware that all chips will seam redundant in 3 years, just want one with a good lifespan).
  2. p0intblank macrumors 68030

    Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    64-bit applications are still a long ways off. Chances are very good you'll be just fine with a 32-bit CPU. So if you need the iMac now, I highly suggest going for it.
  3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Dont be so worried about those chips, you can replace the cpu in the new imacs. Imac is a very nice machine at the moment though its allways better to get the latest greatest. If you need a machine now go buy one if you dont mind waiting months then wait but apple is on a 9-12 month update cycle so it could be a long wait.
  4. Gnorn macrumors regular

    May 7, 2006
    The Tavern, Thornwood
    I'm faced with the same dillema... but I really want to get a new Mac by the end of this month, not wait yet another half a year. Computer technique tends to become absolete pretty fast, but anyhow, I managed to do my thing with my Bondi rev. B, 233 Ghz, and OS 8.6 until now (bought it in late 1999). I'm pretty confident that my new Mac (most likely iMac 17", since I don't expect the new iMacBook to top those specs at that price) will give me years of fun once again.

    It all depent on how badly you want/need a new Mac. If you can wait for about half a year, I would wait for the next rev.
  5. aswitcher macrumors 603


    Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    I am waiting because I want my machine to have good legs in 3 years. I figure by then 64 bit will mean that my os and programs will run a good bit quicker then.
  6. tristan macrumors 6502a

    Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    If you're going to have it for 3yrs I would wait - the next generation Intel chips are supposed to be really really good...
  7. unemployed macrumors member


    Jan 28, 2004
    San Francisco

    What are the best thoughts to when they will come out. August? Before xmas?
  8. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

    Jul 7, 2005
    The chips will probably be out this summer. That doesn't mean that they're going into Apple machines this summer though. Apple still has to update the PowerMac line and may be adding more machines to the MacBook/MBP lines. I would not expect a serious iMac update until after all of the new Intel machines are out. That means -- if there is a MBP refresh before the next iMac revision -- you could theoretically be waiting until Q1 2007 for an iMac with a new chip.
  9. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

    Mar 16, 2006
    Wishing for a magic bus.
    While it is true that most applications do not utilize a 64-bit processor, they will. When, I don't know for sure, but to keep yourself from getting the access to the new technology when it does come out is not worth the wait. Right now, 64-bit=next to nothing, but in the future, it'll be worth everything.
  10. tristan macrumors 6502a

    Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    I'd say Fall - I don't think Apple wants to go so long without a refresh anymore, and refreshes will be easier now that they're on fairly standard Intel platforms. What we don't know is whether the iMac will have a Merom CPU or a Conroe. If it has a Conroe that that thing will be so fast that flames will shoot out its ass.
  11. bb0ys macrumors member

    Mar 14, 2003
    I just got a 20" imac

    About a week ago I bought a 20" iMac with 256MB vram and a 250GB hdd and I love it!

    I usually wait things out if something better is around the corner but not with the iMac. It will probably be sometime between August and December when the iMac gets a revision and it may or may not include a new processor.

    The core duo thats in this computer now is pin compatible with the core 2 duo they've released (merom/conroe) and the chipset/mb in the imac will also
    work with a core 2 duo.

    the core duo is the first of a pretty long line of similar chip designs so you can count on the next few sets of intel chips working in the imac's cpu socket

    get the imac now and you wont be dissapointed.
  12. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816


    Dec 1, 2005
    Definitely a 64bit C2D will be a lot better than a 32Bit CD. But not the current versions. ie the one which we might see in iMac this Aug. I`ve already stated such a thing in a previous therad and i`m gonna repeat myself. There was virtually no difference between the P II 450 and P III 500 computers I and my cousin owned few years back. None at all. And both were unusable as hell after bout 3-3.5 years. But yes difference between PII 450 and PIII 900(i dont exactly remember if it was 900 or 950 something) was huge. But that PIII 900 was launched at least a good year or mare later than the first p III. So there wont actully be any diff between the current CD processor and the Upcoming C2D processor as far as real world performance is concerned. Both will have more or less the same life. ie bout 3-3.5 years before they start giving up.

    But this is not say that C2D aint better than CD. If you can wait then wait you should. It`ll be definitely better than the current CD and might have a little better life. It all depends on when do you want the new Mac actually. If you need it now; then go for it. You wont regret it at all. but in case you have plans of buying it later than you can wait for the new processors. Hopefully Apple will switch to the new chips this Aug at WWDC only. But there are slight chances that apple decides to change the chips only after MWSF in Jan 07. Even though such a thing is highly unlikely but still it could be possible. I personally dont think that iMac wont get newer chips this Aug. But then my name is not Steve Jobs:D either.

Share This Page