imac now with discount...or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevoeddz, Dec 4, 2008.

1. stevoeddz macrumors member

Alright. So im def gonna get the 24'' iMac. (my first mac:D) Should i buy one now from mac connection and save $200 or should i wait until the next update.

I can get an education discount from apple...if that helps.

2. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Depends on if you're lacking something with this version AND which model you'll be getting. I bought mine (see signature) in September with an edu. discount and got a free printer and free iPod Touch 8GB. I am still loving everything about it. If you get the highest model like I did you'll avoid being bumped to the bottom of the spec list when they do update it. If you like it now, get it. I can't think of any huge upgrades they'll be doing other than performance boosts. I doubt it will be a complete redesign. Again, I don't know which model you'll be getting, but you won't be unhappy if you get the one I have. I'd definitely get the 24" like you said. :) Hope this helps in your decision process.

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If small speed bumps and a LED screen matter to you, wait until Mac World.

4. stevoeddz thread starter macrumors member

5. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Copied from Wikipedia...

Pros: OLEDs enable a greater range of colors, brightness, and viewing angle than LCDs because OLED pixels directly emit light. OLED pixel colors appear correct and unshifted, even as the viewing angle approaches 90 degrees from normal. LCDs use a backlight and cannot show true black, while an "off" OLED element produces no light and consumes no power. Energy is also wasted in LCDs because they require polarizers which filter out about half of the light emitted by the backlight. Additionally, color filters in most color LCDs filter out two-thirds of the light; technology to separate backlight colors by diffraction has not been widely adopted.
    OLEDs also have a faster response time than standard LCD screens. Whereas a standard LCD currently has an average of 4-8 millisecond response time, an OLED can have less than 0.01ms response time

Cons: The biggest technical problem for OLEDs is the limited lifetime of the organic materials. In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours (5 years at 8 hours a day) when used for flat-panel displays, which is lower than typical lifetime of LCD, LED or PDP technology—each currently rated for about 60,000 hours, depending on manufacturer and model. Toshiba and Panasonic have come up with a way to solve this problem with a new technology that can double the lifespan of OLED displays, pushing its expected life past that of LCD displays. A metal membrane helps deliver light from polymers in the substrate throughout the glass surface more efficiently than current OLEDs. The result is the same picture quality with half the brightness and a doubling of the screen's expected life.[35]
    In 2007, experimental PLEDs were created which can sustain 400 cd/m² of luminance for over 198,000 hours for green OLEDs and 62,000 hours for blue OLEDs.[36]
    The intrusion of water into displays can damage or destroy the organic materials. Therefore, improved sealing processes are important for practical manufacturing and may limit the longevity of more flexible displays.
    Sufferers of some eye conditions including nystagmus are unable to use OLED displays for an extended period of time due to how the LEDS emit a non-constant stream of light. Nystagmus affects approximately 1 in every 5,000-10,000 people.

End Wikipedia

The quality of the current iMac's screen compared to a LED screen would probably not be that noticeable. If you want a comparison, go to the Apple store and look at the current 24" iMac and the new Cinema Display. I doubt there will be a huge difference except maybe in terms of brightness.

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think the LED display is amazing. I can tell a HUGE difference.

At the same time, they may not even do it in the iMac. All a crap shoot as to what they may change and what they will not.

If you want the computer now, I would recommend you buy it now with the $200 off.

7. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

Im in the same position of the threat starter, when is this MAC world :confused:

8. mets1125 macrumors regular

Macworld is from January 5-9