iMac Nvidia GT 650M vs PS3?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Swordylove, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Swordylove macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

So is the iMac with Nvidia GT 650M better than PS3 for gaming?

I'm thinking of installing Windows and go buy PC version of the games from Steam. Any advice is appreaciated.

2. Serban Suspended

So you want to buy PC or iMAC or PS3?
    If it so for gaming i think a PC > iMAC> PS3
    If you play games like Sports games, FPS games go for PS3 but if you play and strategies games PS3 is the last option

3. Swordylove thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

Thanks for the advice. Actually I already have the PS3 for a long time and now the new iMac.

I'm planning to stop buying PS3 games and start getting Steam games and play on iMac. From what I understand, the PS3 hardware is a bit dated now, so I'm also wondering if iMac with the GT 650M performance already surpasses that of PS3.

I'm mostly into single-player adventure kinda games like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Assassin's Creed, and Portal.

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Don't focus too much on the hardware differences; the consoles are on old hardware now but they also present a single target for which the developers need to optimize, so they can squeeze every last drop of performance out of it. In some ways the wide variety of computer GPU options hinders performance; they can't optimize for 3 years x 2 main vendors x 10-20 cards per vendor per year very easily.

Also, console optimizations are learned over time, and the best performance is always at the end of the lifecycle. The last PS3 games could look better than the first PS4 games (and similarly on Xbox 360 vs its unannounced successor).

Generally the decision of console gaming or computer gaming is driven by how far away you like to sit, how big you like your screen, how comfortable your seat is, and whether keyboard+mouse or controller is your primary input method. Hardware is really the last consideration.

If you do choose computer gaming, you should know that the 650M iMac isn't a bad choice, but once you adjust settings to account for the card it may not look any better to you than the PS3. For serious "PC" gaming on Mac, you really want to be all the way up on the 680MX.

5. Swordylove thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

Thank you very much, forty. Will take them all into consideration. :)

6. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

My new 21.5" iMac replaced my PS3. The iMac is now my central hub for computing, media, entertainment, and gaming. The GT 650M is capable of respectable performance. To be honest, I don't miss my PS3 at all. I believe the graphics of the 650M to be superior to the PS3.

----------

I just wanted to point out that all my gaming is done in Bootcamp.

7. Luvin macrumors member

Everything 42 has pointed out is correct. I would also add that there is a new Playstation 4 due out at the end of this year and Microsoft is expected to unveil a new Xbox for the same timeframe. Based on early indications, I would expect the PS4 to out-perform most modern computers and possibly even the top iMac. That being said, the top-of-the-line iMac with 680MX is a beast of a machine and will play most of today's games on high and probably most of tomorrow's on high/medium for the next few years. Coincidentally this is something I'm looking at currently to fulfill many of the OP's needs as well. Steam is an excellent platform for this because not only can you get all of your games in one place for a cheaper price (most of the time) but you can utilize your iMac just like a system with Big Picture Mode. Boot into windows... Load up Steam... Plug in a 360 controller and you wouldn't know the difference between the iMac and a 360/PS3.

Hope this helps OP. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

8. d0nK macrumors 6502

The 2007 PS3 GFX were surpassed easily and cheaply within a year by PC desktop GFX cards.
    Apple are really taking 'penny-pinching' to new heights with their iMac line.
    I want to see better bank-per-buck by Apple and less of this desktop thinness crap.

9. Serban Suspended

desktop thinness crap that weights twice than a macbook pro. So 21.5" iMac if you can it can be portable as well by car, and cooler than any others

10. Swordylove, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

Swordylove thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

Thanks. That puts a considerable weight to my decision to switch to my new iMac for gaming.

Yeah the PS4 also contributes to my consideration of switching to 'PC' gaming. The fact that it's not backward-compatible is one more reason to stop buying PS3 games.

Okay I'm just going to list down reasons why I think it's better for me to switch to 'PC' gaming:
    1. As stated above. PS3 games are going to be obsolete because PS4 isn't going to be backward-compatible. Steam games, I can carry on to my new computer.
    2. Consoles are much more fun when playing local multiplayer with brothers/friends. But since I'm a lonely bastard, better just get myself stuck in front of the computer. Less clutter around the TV.
    3. I'm planning on upgrading my computer every 3 years or so anyway, so I'm going to save money by not buying the next-gen consoles.
    4. Steam games are cheaper and never out-of-stock. Since I like to buy games that are at least 1 year old (because of price drop), that's a great advantage. Many over-a-year old PS3 games that I want easily get out of stock or discontinued by retailers (which can make holiday sales unfruitful for me)!
    5. I don't have to worry about scratching/damaging my game disc.

And yeah, that's what I'm planning to do - get the 360 controller. I hate playing with keyboard-and-mouse except for sims and turn-based games.

I wish I could get the top-of-the-line iMac with 680MX, but it's out of my budget plus I'm not THAT serious of a gamer.

11. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

you know, if you get a ps4 you can still play ps3 games on your ps3. Getting a ps4 doesn't automatically break your ps3. Would you expect a nintendo Wii U to play NES games still? Time moves on, get on the train or get left behind. You know PC requires later operating systems for later games then you will have to boot into a previous version of windows to be able to play some older games, same story. Everyone seems to feed off negativity these days. This is just for your first point though. Can't comment on the others :)

12. Swordylove thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

I would rather not take out the machine and plug things in just to play a PS3 game. Or even have both plugged in. Not interested in the mess. I will still keep my PS3, but will not have both.

You have a point about the older games for older OSes. What negativity are you talking about?

13. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

negativity was directed at "I'm not buying that because it can't do this!" You don't have to buy it of course but people are throwing tantrums over it. Doing that won't change anything, just annoy people.

14. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

You make valid points and this partially explains why I went with the new iMac over the PS3. Less clutter and cables to manage for me, since my work space is limited, so I love the AIO design of the iMac. In addition, since all my games are on Steam, I too don't have to worry about a pile of discs, some of which just sit there and are never used again once the game is completed. I'm by no means a "hardcore gamer," but I must say that I've been really happy on the 21.5" so far, and gaming with the GT 650M is an enjoyable experience. Hell, I even play games more now since I have the time and they're so much fun! I love Steam holiday sales, because tons of titles are discounted at great prices.

15. nawoo macrumors regular

totally different systems. Ps3 has games that both the pc and mac don't even have. Like Uncharted and Ni No Kuni.

Playing them on a 55inch tv is just a different experience.

Just get both. Use the PC for PC games and PS3 for console games that can't be gotten on the PC.

16. Swordylove thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

Funny I didn't sense any negativity until your comment about it showed up. I was just simply listing out reasons that push me towards switching to 'PC'.

I know that, but the only PS3 exclusive I've gotten was Little Big Planet and I sold it away because it didn't please me that much. I'm planning to get the God of War Saga (because of the awesome 5-in-1 value), and that's probably the last PS3 game I'll ever buy.

I know there are other good exclusives too, but my budget is tight, and I don't have too much free time to play all the good games available. I will only buy games that I think I can't live without :p

I would buy PS4 (or Wii U or both) too if money was not an issue.

17. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

No, the PS3 has a much better & larger games catalogue.

I couldn't even comprehend using a Mac for gaming. Yes, yes, yes it's capable of playing games but if you don't want a games console then a PC is the obvious choice, once again due to it's extensive back catalogue.

The iMac might look reasonable now, but in 12 months time the PC hardware will be light years ahead, so who wants to be playing gimped versions of ported games? It's not like any developer or publisher will make the Mac the lead platform for development. At the present time the Mac is an awful choice for gaming.

18. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

Dude, just use bootcamp and boot up into windows and have native access to all windows games in a real windows environment...then boot back to mac OSX for everything else...

problem solved, you're welcome

19. Swordylove thread starter macrumors 6502a

Swordylove

^ Yeah what he says :D

20. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Still be stuck using a 650M which is hardly ideal for gaming and not exactly future proof.

PassMark - G3D Mark scores:

650M = 1276
    My 18 month old 570 GTX = 4337

They are worlds apart.

21. Serban Suspended

So what you do with your 4337 score? You will be playing games in 2 years from now on yes but even with the 650M you will still can but not everything max..But this is a machine to last over years if you are not a hardcore gamer.

22. mojothemonkey, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

mojothemonkey macrumors regular

While i generally agree with your entire post, I wouldn't go so far as to say this. The difference should be palpable when you look at the difference in sheer pixels per second or gflops of compute power of the GPUs alone.

A very very rough comparison of the raw computing power shows approx 6-10 fold increase in GPU power in this step. (sadly, closer to 6x for the xbox, perhaps 10x for the sony - Sony PS3 apparently was a bit behind the xbox360 with the RSX, but now will be slightly ahead of the competition with the PS4)

23. 2Turbo macrumors 6502

2Turbo

I disagree here. Simply not gonna happen IMHO.

24. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

playstation systems used to have the best turned based games and rpg games. they have strayed so far from their heritage. its sad really. all mostly fps now. before they had so many rpgs on the ps2 and ps1 it was several pages long. now you can count them on one hand. oh well.