iMac og Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Skibsted, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Skibsted macrumors regular

Skibsted

I have a MBP but I'm thinking about buying a desktop.
    My question is, would an iMac have sufficient computer power to run the latest computer games (when I'm running windows via bootcamp) or do I need to get the massively expensive Mac Pro?

Thanks in advance

Skibsted

2. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I would personally just build a PC for gaming. I did and it rocks. Not only is the graphics card more powerful than the Mac Pro's, but it cost about 50% less than the Mac Pro :)

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Get Windows Computer for gaming don't buy mac you have way more options if you get windows for graphics and processors you get much more performance with going windows and then you don't have to spend that much money.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Reports suggest that most Windows games run just fine in BootCamp on an iMac. A Mac Pro seems like overkill for gaming, frankly.

5. Skibsted thread starter macrumors regular

Skibsted

Thanks for your replies.
    I'm sure a PC would do the job, but I want a mac as my desktop since I'm gonna use it as my primary computer as well.
    It seems that the iMac has sufficient computer power to do the job.

Skibsted

6. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

i think the imac would be sufficent as long as it has a lot of ram

7. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

it really depends upon what you expect from the games. I have heard on MR that people have been using mbp's to play crysis, although with lower graphics at lower resolutions. Your mbp therefore should be ok for most gaming (if your expectations aren't quite as high)nd if we are realistic, the imacs are essentially mbp in desktop form anyway.

in the end though, macs and games (even in bootcamp), are still very restrictive. If gaming is what you want, get a pc or a ps3:)

8. barijazz macrumors 6502

Both are true. If you are going to be using the computer for xp gaming only then why not get an xp machine? If however you are like me and have sworn never to touch a pc again then the mac pro would be the better choice.