Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skibsted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have a MBP but I'm thinking about buying a desktop.
My question is, would an iMac have sufficient computer power to run the latest computer games (when I'm running windows via bootcamp) or do I need to get the massively expensive Mac Pro?

Thanks in advance

Skibsted

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I have a MBP but I'm thinking about buying a desktop.
My question is, would an iMac have sufficient computer power to run the latest computer games (when I'm running windows via bootcamp) or do I need to get the massively expensive Mac Pro?

Thanks in advance

Skibsted

I would personally just build a PC for gaming. I did and it rocks. Not only is the graphics card more powerful than the Mac Pro's, but it cost about 50% less than the Mac Pro :)

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Get Windows Computer for gaming don't buy mac you have way more options if you get windows for graphics and processors you get much more performance with going windows and then you don't have to spend that much money.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Reports suggest that most Windows games run just fine in BootCamp on an iMac. A Mac Pro seems like overkill for gaming, frankly.

Skibsted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks for your replies.
I'm sure a PC would do the job, but I want a mac as my desktop since I'm gonna use it as my primary computer as well.
It seems that the iMac has sufficient computer power to do the job.

Skibsted

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
it really depends upon what you expect from the games. I have heard on MR that people have been using mbp's to play crysis, although with lower graphics at lower resolutions. Your mbp therefore should be ok for most gaming (if your expectations aren't quite as high)nd if we are realistic, the imacs are essentially mbp in desktop form anyway.

in the end though, macs and games (even in bootcamp), are still very restrictive. If gaming is what you want, get a pc or a ps3:)

barijazz

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
Get Windows Computer for gaming don't buy mac you have way more options if you get windows for graphics and processors you get much more performance with going windows and then you don't have to spend that much money.

I would personally just build a PC for gaming. I did and it rocks. Not only is the graphics card more powerful than the Mac Pro's, but it cost about 50% less than the Mac Pro :)

Both are true. If you are going to be using the computer for xp gaming only then why not get an xp machine? If however you are like me and have sworn never to touch a pc again then the mac pro would be the better choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.