Imac + old Macbook pro or New Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theking79, Jan 25, 2011.

1. theking79 macrumors 6502

Im a graphic design student, I already own a late 2008 unibody 2.4 Macbook pro.

Ive got a dilemma of either buying a new Imac 27" 2.8 i5 and keeping my old Macbook Pro.

or

Buy a new Macbook Pro when they are updated this year and sell off my old one.

I go home regularly at weekends because of my job so I obviously need a portable device, but im not sure i want to keep my old macbook pro as it is getting very outdated and im looking for an upgrade soon.

The only issue I have with the Imac + macbook pro option is that im not sure i want to be stuck with an old outdated macbook pro, as i dont have the money to buy both, i have around £1600 to spend.

what would you do?

2. sydenham macrumors regular

Your two year old Macbook pro is still a killer machine, I think you should get the new Imac and keep using your laptop.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd say sell off the old one and just get an i7 2.8GHz mbp! So much faster.

4. theking79 thread starter macrumors 6502

not sure if i really need an i7 laptop, would it make much difference as im only using Adobe CS5 programs...

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

What are you doing with it that you need an upgrade so bad?

If it serves your needs now, there's no real reason to upgrade, even if it is "outdated"

6. theking79 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't need an upgrade badly, i don't think most people upgrade because they really need to, more because the want to.

just want a faster, better machine.

plus one of the main pulling points of the imac for me is large screen

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd go with the iMac then, as it seems that your MBP is sufficient for what you need. That way you have two computers, so twice the awesome :p

I didn't mean to say not to upgrade, I was just wondering if you needed a better laptop, or if the current one would work, and you could get the iMac as well.

8. theking79 thread starter macrumors 6502

think im going to get the imac, i think it would be better to have a macbook and an imac, looking to play games aswell so i think imac would be better.

9. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

if you want speed in the MBP, you can buy an SSD? they will give you the performance you want, etc!

so if possible, buy imac and SSD?

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Putting in an SSD would make your old MBP feel (almost) like a brand new machine. But...if you want to play the games, the iMac would be the way to go.

11. theking79, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

theking79 thread starter macrumors 6502

SSD for macbook + new imac sounds like a good option but i have no experience whatsoever in installing hardware, is it easy to do?

12. simsaladimbamba