Imac on a plane

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Evilware, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Evilware macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a question. Does anybody traveled with a 21.5" iMac on a plane. I had the idea o putting it inside a garment bag. It fits perfectly, just a little bit longer than a carry on bag. What do you think? Would I be able to go ahead with it?
    Another thing, It has Lion and sometimes it reboots by itself after shutting it down. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!!

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Not sure about putting it inside a garment bag, but how will it reboot itself without power. That shouldn't be an issue.

3. Evilware thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah..

1.I am pretty sure it would work, but I wanted some of your experiences.(Taking it on a plane)

2.Yes, It has happened to me 3 times.. I shut it down and a few seconds later it restarts :confused::confused:

I am so sorry for the sad news of Steve Jobs, great man, great mind.:apple::apple:

Thanks for your answers.

4. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Well, the iMac (unplugged, in a bag) won't have any electricity to turn on. There are no batteries in an iMac.

Also, you're really asking for trouble trying to do this:

1) if you are in the United States, the TSA will not allow you to take a desktop computer onto a plane. They will make you check it. (Having travelled with various computers and servers for years, I can say this with 99.9% certainty.)

2) The garment bag has no protection for the large glass screen. It will most likely get scratched, or broken by the movement of the plan swinging in the compartment, etc.

Here is what to do.

Make sure you have a good backup.

Find the original box, put the iMac inside of a 30 gallon trash or garden bag and tie that shut, then put the bagged iMac inside of the box. The trash bag will help keep moisture from effecting your computer.

If you don't have the original box, see if your local Apple Store has one you can have. They will often have a few boxes from display units, returns, etc. They may also have boxes on hand that they use for shipping computers for service that you could purchase inexpensively.

Tape the box up well. Put your contact information on it in at least 2 places.

I have travelled with several iMac's including a 24" and 27" iMac on planes this way. Even to Hawaii (from Boston with 3 transfers!)

I've never had a problem with any of them.

5. darster Suspended

Do you accidently select sleep instead of shutdown? They are close to each other, and it's easy to mistake.

I would be worried about putting the imac in the overhead bin, especially when people cram stuff into it. if you ever watch those stewardesses when they try and close the overhead bins, it can be frightening how they jam things in there.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

:confused: As has been said above, it is obviously unplugged from the mains and so, sleep and shutdown don't even enter the equation!

7. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

just make sure you unplug it before you bring it on the plane.

8. Smacky macrumors 6502

Make sure you use airplane mode if you are going to use it on the plane
    Don't want to interfere with the planes avionics

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you people really not get that the OP is asking about two separate issues?

10. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Apparently you don't get it.

He plugs the iMac into the garment bag.

11. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

He can use a plug to charge it on the plane and use it on airplane mode during flight :p

12. wheelsaway macrumors newbie

Recommend a travel bag specifically for Imac

We have created a case designed specifically for travelling with an Imac. Numerous customers have sent us feedback detailing their traveling experience with our cases. The 21.5" case is being allowed through gates as carry on luggage. Will fit in overheads with most larger aircrafts. Take a look at our site.

13. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Watched your video. The only thing I can see this being useful for myself is taking into the Apple store, which I do rarely.

But cool idea and best of luck with company!