Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sananto35

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
greetings...I'm itching to buy the 24" 3.06GHz iMac TODAY, but I've read reports/heard rumors of units moved lagging projected estimates and a nervous Apple. Can we anticipate a significant, market-wide sale on iMacs over the next 1-2 months? Otherwise, is there a time of year when Apple regularly holds these kinds of sales? I'm not in academia or the military, so no discounts there. Just want to ask the question before plunking down $2,500. Thanks for your feedback.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
greetings...I'm itching to buy the 24" 3.06GHz iMac TODAY, but I've read reports/heard rumors of units moved lagging projected estimates and a nervous Apple. Can we anticipate a significant, market-wide sale on iMacs over the next 1-2 months? Otherwise, is there a time of year when Apple regularly holds these kinds of sales? I'm not in academia or the military, so no discounts there. Just want to ask the question before plunking down $2,500. Thanks for your feedback.

I strongly doubt it.

I saved up 3 months worth of my summer job just to pick up the same iMac you want, ordered it a few days ago, it's a terrific feeling, so just go for it, you'll never look back. :D

Besides, the most you save on an iMac is $100 with a student discount, nothing more, so it's not a biggie to spend 2 extra bucks on a wireless Mighty Mouse.

However, AppleCare is $30 cheaper, which is a plus for students like me.

Just go for it, if you can afford it. :)

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
To my knowledge, Apple never holds a "sale" and rarely drops the price of an existing computer model to make room for a new one.

Apple is very good at managing their inventory in their own stores (online and retail) so they don't need to use sales to move product. External retailers like Best Buy might have to use a sale to push old product if they didn't manage their inventory as well, but Apple doesn't.

If you don't want a next-generation iMac, your best bet is to wait for it to ship and then keep an eye on the Clearance and Refurb inventories.

vultureboy70

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2006
San Francisco
Apple and other retailers usually offer day-after-thanksgiving sales of roughly 10% off full price and still be eligible for a free printer after rebate. Amazon and other online retailers generally offer rebates on Apple products all the time. Apple refurb store is another way to go, but no free printer after rebate. Prices on new and refurb apples usually drop significantly after an updated model is introduced. Good luck!

sananto35

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
thank you!

...appreciate the quick replies...sounds like a green light to go get it right now. Will purchase at Tekserve in NYC, which keeps a limited number of 3.06 iMacs in stock...they give a break on RAM upgrades and a few other niceties that make it a slight bargain over the Apple Stores..."Apple Church" on 5th Ave. is so throttled with tourists as to make it an unbearable experience.

Anyone out there have experience dealing -- or negotiating! -- with Tekserve?

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
They normally have a sale on black friday (day after thanksgiving) in the US, but the discounts only apply in the brick and mortar Apple stores. I got $200 off of my iMac, and I got $30 off of my copy of iWork, and maybe even .mac (AKA MobileMe).

Don

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
They normally have a sale on black friday (day after thanksgiving) in the US, but the discounts only apply in the brick and mortar Apple stores. I got $200 off of my iMac, and I got $30 off of my copy of iWork, and maybe even .mac (AKA MobileMe).

Don

yea, this is just about the only "sale" you are going to see from apple.. come to think of it thanksgiving isnt too far off.. summer is almost over :(

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
yea, this is just about the only "sale" you are going to see from apple.. come to think of it thanksgiving isnt too far off.. summer is almost over :(

Which, IMO is really unfortunate! I'm waiting till i7 (AKA Nehalem) to get a MBP, and hopefully by that time will be able to afford a high end 17" or maybe the high end 15" with a 20" ACD (please update them Steve!!!!!!). But by the time the i7 MBP's come out, there won't be any sales until next November, and I want one for my Birthday (July 7th) or maybe get my b-day present early on release day.

Don

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.