iMac on startup loop. . .

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cliko, Jul 28, 2009.

1. cliko macrumors newbie

I was trying to change the file sharing settings so I could receive files on my iMac on my MacBook Pro, then things started to freeze up, so I restarted the computer by the button on the back. When I turned it on, it got to the part where the screen goes blue and then a grey spinning wheel appears, disappears after a few seconds, then appears again and so on. I tried restarting (didn't work) and holding 'C' with the startup disc in (didn't work either), so has anyone got any ideas?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try rebooting while holding the keys command+option+P+R until the startup chime sounds a second time.

3. cliko thread starter macrumors newbie

4. manowarwi macrumors member

First turn the Mac off and on and then try holding down the Shift key while it boots (you'll have to hold it in the entire time while booting). This will attempt to force a safe boot which may be all you need. If that works - it will boot up to OS X in safe mode, then you should just have to reboot again and it will load normally.

If that doesn't work, try turning the Mac off and on this time holding in Command + S in. This should boot into Single User mode where you should be able to run some diagnostics. First, type in /sbin/fsck -fy and press return. This will run a disk verify/repair. If it says it fixed anything, type exit and press return and that will reboot the machine.