iMac / Onkyo Receiver TX-SR608 - Possible for use as a 7.1 Mixing System?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by compos24, Oct 5, 2011.

1. compos24 macrumors newbie

Hey People!

First of all, I'm new to the forum. I've followed the daily rumors on the Front Page for a long time, but I've held off for unknown reasons on the forums.

I have a Late 2009 iMac. My parents (I'm a College Student) have recently finished remodeling our basement, and it's now equipped with a great 7.1 surround system. It's all upper-end Klipsch speaker models, and sounds awesome. The A/V receiver is Onkyo TX-SR608.

The receiver has about 6-7 (off the top of my head) HDMI ports, and two Optical ports. As the Optical Ports are in use with the Blu-Ray player and Satellite TV, those options are out. However, there is an empty HDMI Port labeled PC. Noticing this, it now has me wondering about the possibilities.

Can I connect my iMac to this receiver for direct playback on Surround Mixing? My major is Music Composition, and I've yet to have the opportunity to create 7.1 mixes (or any surround mixes, yet).

If it's even possible (feel free to enlighten me if it isn't possible)... What do I need to do this? I'm upgrading to Mac Pro as soon as the refreshed model is released. As the current models do not have HDMI ports, I realize that I'm no worse off on my iMac. So, base your recommendations around the 2009 iMac.

Note: I do use Logic Studio and Pro Tools for my mixing, monitoring, mastering, etc.

Thank you to all who are willing to help me!

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

I'm surprised the BluRay player does not have HDMI outs. Why is it using an optical audio port?

If you can't move the others to free up an optical input there $40 converters that convert to HDMI.

3. compos24 thread starter macrumors newbie

After another read, I can see how I may have some misleading phrases in there.

On the receiver all of the HDMI ports are free. We are only using it, at this current time, for audio playback. When I mentioned "a free HDMI port labeled PC", i only meant to single it out for clarity, noting it's obvious intended usage.

Sorry for the mix-up, guys.

Now... with this revision in mind, what do I need to make this happen? Is it possible? It would seem possible, but I may have missed a key piece of information somewhere.

Is it as simple as an HDMI cable and a Mini-DisplayPort HDMI Adapter for Macs? Feel free to recommend specific brands for the necessary items, too!