Imac Only using 66% of cpu HELP!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by drexl5, Jul 2, 2011.

1. drexl5 macrumors member

So i have a stock 2010 2.93 i7 imac. While i render a video (Premiere & FCPX) it only uses about 66% of my cpu. Whats the holding my cpu back? When I look at my system memory it shows this. SO would adding more memory make my computer use more of its cpu? if so how much? Im jkinda on a budget so could just getting another samsung (stock memory according to macsales)4gb kit giving me a total of 8gb be enough or should i look to add more? [​IMG]

2. simsaladimbamba

More RAM will not make your Mac use more CPU, but I try that transcoding thing you described yesterday in one of your three threads and will report back here.

3. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Its only using that much because it only needs needs that much (or the program's not optimsed etc.) if each program used 100%, then a quad core iMac would crash before you could use it - Finder, Dock and other background apps etc. Generally programs use as much CPU as they need (usually set by the developer - especially video editing programs).

You shouldn't worry; OS X will take care of RAM and CPU usage.

4. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Normally i would say that ram didn't matter but it might in this case since your maxed out. FCPX is using an newer multimedia engine that might benefit from more ram. It's also 64 bit now so it will take all that it need that is available.

On the other hand, FCPX is background rendering so it may not need more than 66% for playback.

Hmm, I'd get another 8 gigs from macsales for less than $100. Forego pizza and beer if need be ;)

5. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Buy the 8gb kit

8GB kits seems to be the sweet spot, price-wise presently, and that's what I've just bought to add to my existing 4GB stock in my iMac.

6. rikbrown macrumors regular

He's not maxed out? He has over 1gb free.

7. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

It would be better if we could see real ram being used in the top part of activity monitor.

Supposedly the inactive ram could be use by the app/apps but lately I have witnessed the opposite. Can you please tell my copy of Safari to use the inactive ram instead of bringing my machine to a halt. I tried with abusive language but it responded with spinning pinwheels ;)

I'm not sure nowadays but in the past apps needed all their ram sequentially, therefore that inactive ram could not be used by an app that was launched before that ram became inactive.

Like I said, I don't know, but sometimes the way things should work and do work are different.